Campsis from Delhi grandiflora or radicans

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 27, 2010, 11:01:00 PM7/27/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
After seeing C. radicans from Kashmir I was confused about the identity of Campsis commonly growing in Delhi and earlier identified by me as C. radicans and also depicted on Flowers of India website as C. radicans. The typical C. radicans from Kashmir has much longer corolla tube (6-8 cm long as against 4-5 in C. grandiflora) and shallowly parted calyx tube. The plants from Delhi though with slightly smaller flowers have shorter corolla and deeply parted calyx, which leads me to think that my Campsis from Delhi may be smaller form of C. grandiflora and not C. radicans.
      Kindly give your critical views on this.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Campsis-Delhi-c.jpg
Campsis-Delhi-b.jpg
Campsis-Delhi-a.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jul 27, 2010, 11:21:47 PM7/27/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Gurcharan ji, ... horticultural variety is a possibility.
Regards.

tanay bose

Jul 27, 2010, 11:52:25 PM7/27/10
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
I too think the same it can be a horticultural variety as said by Dinesh ji
But C radicans is more popular in Delhi and adjoining regions
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 28, 2010, 12:16:35 AM7/28/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Dinesh ji and Tanay
It will be interesting to know horticultural variety of which of the two species?. Deeply parted calyx and shorter corolla tube of Delhi plant and relatively broader corolla limb (in Kashmir C. radicans flowers are rarely broader than 3.5 cm) often up to 6 cm suggests it to be closer to C. grandiflora. Interestingly I have watched the leaves of both species in Kashmir closely, and have seen leaflet number varying between 7-11 on both. L. H. Bailey, Manual of cultivated Plants (and other books) mention usual leaflet number in C. radicans to be 9-11, and 7-9 in C. grandiflora. Another feature separating two species is the capsule beaked at apex in C. radicans, obtuse in C. grandiflora. This will have to be checked in Delhi plant.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rohit Patel

Jul 28, 2010, 1:24:13 AM7/28/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
I think this species may from Bignonaceae family

--
ROHITKUMAR M.PATEL
Asst. Project cordinator

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jul 28, 2010, 2:35:13 AM7/28/10
to efloraofindia
Hello Rohit,
Nice to see you here......put up some desert plants dear. You should
have many by now. And I liked your approach of identifcation, you
remind me of me few years back, when I never used to say anything
other than the family....
Good going...keep it up.
Yours
Pankaj

Padmini Raghavan

Jul 28, 2010, 2:06:24 PM7/28/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Dear Sir,
Here are my snaps of this orange flower. Please tell me which Campsis it is.
( Only recently found it was a Campsis and not Bignonia capreolata)
Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Campsis radicans on 28-7-10 001.jpg
Campsis radicans on 28-7-10 002.jpg
Campsis radicans on 28-7-10 003.jpg
Campsis radicans on 28-7-10 004.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 28, 2010, 9:35:11 PM7/28/10
to Padmini Raghavan, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
C. grandiflora for sure, after having seen and posted C. radicans from Kashmir.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

JM Garg

Jan 7, 2020, 12:44:31 AM1/7/20
to efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh
Campsis-Delhi-c.jpg
Campsis-Delhi-b.jpg
Campsis-Delhi-a.jpg

JM Garg

Jan 7, 2020, 12:46:19 AM1/7/20
to efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh, pad...@gmail.com
Campsis radicans on 28-7-10 001.jpg
Campsis radicans on 28-7-10 002.jpg
Campsis radicans on 28-7-10 003.jpg
Campsis radicans on 28-7-10 004.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 7, 2020, 12:50:50 AM1/7/20
to JM Garg, efloraofindia
Campsis tagliabuana as indicated in subsequent posts.