Wild Flower for ID - 110811 - RK

ranjini kamath

Aug 11, 2011, 2:31:00 AM8/11/11
to indiatreepix
Request ID of this flower.Regret i have only one clear pic of this.The
flower is about 1cm across & is seen in the background in the 2nd
pic.Taken in March-April 2011.Thank you
Ranjini Kamath
IMG_8622-ph.jpg
IMG_8989-ph2.jpg

Prabhu kumar KM

Aug 11, 2011, 3:20:34 AM8/11/11
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix

Dear Ranjini,

I feel it just like Fragaria indica. Please check

--
Prabhu Kumar K M
Research Scholar

Mahadeswara

Aug 11, 2011, 7:01:53 AM8/11/11
to efloraofindia
Duchesnea indica (Mock strawberry ,Indian strawberry, )
>  IMG_8622-ph.jpg
> 144KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_8989-ph2.jpg
> 153KViewDownload

Tanay Bose

Aug 11, 2011, 9:54:15 AM8/11/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Yes Duchesnea indica Gurcharan Ji uploaded this plant
from Kashmir about a month or so back
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 11, 2011, 10:26:06 AM8/11/11
to Tanay Bose, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
This is the typical problem we face in the process of identification. The author has not even indicated the place where this plant is growing. I would request experts to please make efforts towards this end. Any plant for ID should have some important details like Place, altitude, habitat, habit, size of plant, size of leaves, size of flowers, etc.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Mahadeswara

Aug 12, 2011, 12:19:30 AM8/12/11
to efloraofindia
I fully endorse the opinion expressed by Dr. Gurcharan ji. I think
one should follow the guidelines and provide the details indicated
by him. This would help identification easy for the experts. I for
one would like to emulate the reporting by Dr Singh ji, which is a
model.

On Aug 11, 7:26 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the typical problem we face in the process of identification. The
> author has not even indicated the place where this plant is growing. I would
> request experts to please make efforts towards this end. Any plant for ID
> should have some important details like Place, altitude, habitat, habit,
> size of plant, size of leaves, size of flowers, etc.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Tanay Bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes Duchesnea indica Gurcharan Ji uploaded this plant
> > from Kashmir about a month or so back
> > Tanay
> > On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Mahadeswara <swamy.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Duchesnea indica  (Mock strawberry ,Indian strawberry, )

> > --
> > *Tanay Bose*
> > Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> > Department of Botany.
> > University of British Columbia .
> > 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> > Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> > Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
> >            604-822-2019 (Lab)
> >            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> > ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> > *Webpages:*

Satish Phadke

Aug 12, 2011, 11:02:19 AM8/12/11
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Ranjini ji
Please provide the details about the place etc because you were posting some pictures from California(US) as well as from India. The thread can not continue without it else it will be meaningless.

ranjini kamath

Aug 13, 2011, 4:03:41 AM8/13/11
to Satish Phadke, indiatreepix
Satish ji  I am forwarding this mail to you & the group.This is the only time i have [ inadvertently] overlooked sending the name of the place.So sorry for the inconvenience.This lapse will certainly not be repeated !:)
Regards

Aug 13, 2011, 5:37:38 AM8/13/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
This is a group that is very sincere and has experts who go out of
their way to help botanists, taxonomists and non-botanist, non-
scientists alike without any demur... I love it..

and hence it bothers me that some members take it for granted that no
matter how little they send, they are bound to get an id ... so why
bother?

Yes, I think its carelessness or thinking that this is magic where no
matter what one sends, how little one sends, there will be experts who
will identify... so why bother.... may be we should have a rule ...
that no details ... no diagnosis... its not like its the emergency
room where if we don't do any diagnosis a patient may loose life or
limb... may be we need stricter rules?

Such submission also makes a mockery of group's rules, that you and
Mr. Garg send out so repeatedly...

It makes a mockery of efforts of those sincere folks who spend time
and effort... of those of us who spend a great deal of time to
submit the formatted info and good sharp pictures with flower, leaf
(front and back if possible), size ...verbal or measure- tape in
picture along with flower or fruit, stem, bark, tree or shrub or herb
as a whole whenever possible, and I even take pictures of surrounding
habitat if the specimen is wild and not planted in a planned garden or
forest...

Usha di...

On Aug 11, 7:26 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the typical problem we face in the process of identification. The
> author has not even indicated the place where this plant is growing. I would
> request experts to please make efforts towards this end. Any plant for ID
> should have some important details like Place, altitude, habitat, habit,
> size of plant, size of leaves, size of flowers, etc.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Tanay Bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes Duchesnea indica Gurcharan Ji uploaded this plant
> > from Kashmir about a month or so back
> > Tanay
> > On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Mahadeswara <swamy.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Duchesnea indica  (Mock strawberry ,Indian strawberry, )

> > --
> > *Tanay Bose*
> > Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> > Department of Botany.
> > University of British Columbia .
> > 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> > Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> > Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
> >            604-822-2019 (Lab)
> >            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> > ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> > *Webpages:*

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 13, 2011, 6:24:03 AM8/13/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg
Ushadi

I can really understand your love for the group, and concern that members (especially new ones) become more disciplined and provide information as per the format. Although it is often difficult to resist the temptation of providing Id if you know the name, but perhaps the things will improve if experts tell the concerned member to provide details before (or at least after) identification. This only will compel members (who as you wrote who take things for granted) to provide necessary details.