Jasmine? ABMAY01/16

Ashwini Bhatia

May 22, 2015, 12:43:12 PM5/22/15
to efloraofindia
There are several shrubs of these near my home. Could this be a Jasmine?

Above Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1800m

Thanks.
Ashwini

Ushadi Micromini

May 22, 2015, 1:44:27 PM5/22/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
Himalayan honeysuckle ?

Lonicera glabrata most likely

opens white, turns yellow

wait till it fruits
may not be edible but translucent red berries may develop , I dont know for sure

usha di

Usha di
===========

Ashwini Bhatia

May 22, 2015, 1:47:07 PM5/22/15
to Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Thank you Ushadi. I will await the fruits.

Regards,
Ashwini

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 10:12 PM, Ashwini Bhatia <ash...@ashwinibhatia.com> wrote:
There are several shrubs of these near my home. Could this be a Jasmine?

Above Mcleodganj, Dharamshala, HP
1800m

Thanks.
Ashwini

<_MG_6765_08May15.jpg>

Usha di
===========

J.M. Garg

May 30, 2015, 4:46:21 AM5/30/15
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, Ushadi Micromini

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Himalayan honeysuckle ? Lonicera glabrata most likely
opens white, turns yellow
wait till it fruits
may not be edible but translucent red berries may develop , I dont know for sure
usha di

Lonicera species in eFIoraofindia (with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available)

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Narain Singh Chauhan

May 30, 2015, 7:19:07 AM5/30/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, Ushadi Micromini
Is it an erect shrub ?

M Swamy

May 30, 2015, 11:13:27 PM5/30/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, Ushadi Micromini
Lonicera species

Ashwini Bhatia

Jun 1, 2015, 11:25:27 AM6/1/15
to Narain Singh Chauhan, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ushadi Micromini
It is Dr Chauhan. But not tall, the branches bending low on the slopes.

Thanks and regards,
Ashwini

On 30-May-2015, at 4:49 pm, Narain Singh Chauhan <nscha...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is it an erect shrub ?
On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 2:16 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Some earlier relevant feedback:
Himalayan honeysuckle ? Lonicera glabrata most likely
opens white, turns yellow
wait till it fruits
may not be edible but translucent red berries may develop , I dont know for sure
usha di
Lonicera species in eFIoraofindia (with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available)
Jun 5, 2015, 5:38:32 AM6/5/15
to efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Himalayan honeysuckle ? Lonicera glabrata most likely
opens white, turns yellow
wait till it fruits
may not be edible but translucent red berries may develop , I dont know for sure
usha di

Lonicera species in eFIoraofindia (with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available)

Is it an erect shrub ?- from Chauhan ji

It is Dr Chauhan. But not tall, the branches bending low on the slopes.

Thanks and regards,
Ashwini

Lonicera species- from Mahadeswara ji.

Jun 5, 2015, 6:24:43 AM6/5/15
to J. M. Garg, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan, Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia

Ashwini ji,
First photograph appears as Lonicera quinquelocularis.
Second and third one are of cultivated sp. L. japonica.

ash...@ashwinibhatia.com

Jun 5, 2015, 7:04:10 AM6/5/15
to Anil Thakur, J. M. Garg, Narain Singh Chauhan, Ashwini Bhatia, efloraofindia
anil
first one ... i have no doubt you are right

but the later two ...
i have doubts that its japanese honey suckle..

if not l. japonica what else could it be...
needs further investigation.

i should perhaps know since i have helped our forest and bot dept
uproot hundreds over several years as part of volunteer group that
tried to eradicate weeds invading the parkways and native forests...

may be key of native and invading loniceras would help

do you have one?

thanks
usha di

--
Usha di
===========

ash...@ashwinibhatia.com

Jun 5, 2015, 7:05:36 AM6/5/15
to Anil Thakur, J. M. Garg, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan, efloraofindia
Dear Thakur Ji,
If I remember correctly these are of the same plant. It could be a cultivated species as well because I photographed it at the boundary of a school compound.

Regards,
Ashwini

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 5, 2015, 12:50:08 PM6/5/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, Anil Thakur, J. M. Garg, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan, efloraofindia
There is some confusion some where. My first reaction was also L. quinquelocularis (first photograph) and L. japonica (last two). The two can't be normally normally be confused as former is an erect shrub with flowers not longer than 2 cm and latter a woody climber with flowers 3-5 cm long.
I am uploading both for comparison.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
Lonicera-japonica-Balgarden-15-6-DSC08486-Kashmir-1.jpg
Lonicera-quinquelocularis-Harwan-IMG_2851-Kashmir-1.jpg

Ashwini Bhatia

Jun 5, 2015, 1:36:16 PM6/5/15
to Gurcharan Singh, Anil Thakur, J. M. Garg, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan, efloraofindia
My apologies for creating this confusion inadvertently. The two plants must then be growing next to each other making me believe that they were the same species.

Thank you for correcting me.

Warm regards,
Ashwini

<_MG_6770_08May15.jpg>

With regards,
J.M.Garg
The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

<Lonicera-japonica-Balgarden-15-6-DSC08486-Kashmir-1.jpg><Lonicera-quinquelocularis-Harwan-IMG_2851-Kashmir-1.jpg>

Anil Thakur

Jun 5, 2015, 1:55:37 PM6/5/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, Ushadi Micromini, J. M. Garg, Narain Singh Chauhan, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia

Dear Ashwini ji,
Leaf morphology indicated these plants belonging to two different species. It is quite possible that they may be growing close to each others.

Ashwini Bhatia

Jun 5, 2015, 1:58:05 PM6/5/15
to Anil Thakur, Ushadi Micromini, J. M. Garg, Narain Singh Chauhan, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
I realise my mistake Thakur ji. They were definitely close to each other otherwise I would not have made this error.

Many thanks,
Ashwini

Ushadi Micromini

Jun 5, 2015, 4:53:54 PM6/5/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, Anil Thakur, J. M. Garg, Narain Singh Chauhan, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
fine

Ashwini's number 2 and three have flowers that have thick juicy petals themselves, that does not tally with my experience of L. japonica, niether  does it match any pictures on the net and not with Gurcharanji's pictures...  Thank you Guracharanji for the pictures ... which is which?

this thick juicy petals themselves (forget the sweet nectar that the hummingbirds and the butterflies with long probosis drink up and some children)  is neityher of the teo that have beeen menrtioned.

to my mind just the length does not make a flower.

Its the subtle quality of the petal has to be taken into account.

Ashwini, lets wait for the berries...  would be green turning to red, or white or even black..
we will definitely know then...

no need to apologize.

usha di

--
Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

Jun 5, 2015, 5:11:37 PM6/5/15
to Ashwini Bhatia, Anil Thakur, J. M. Garg, Narain Singh Chauhan, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
i forgot to include this link.. for the california native honeysuckle with two non natives: for the berry colors:
here it is :

http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/specieslist.cgi?where-genus=Lonicera

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Anil Thakur

May 3, 2018, 9:59:25 AM5/3/18
to efloraofindia
Garg ji
There is no doubt that these photographs belong to Lonicera quinquelocularis and L.japonica. Dr. Gurcharan Singh's photographs have cleared all doubts regarding the identity.

I have posted Lonicera quinquelocularis in April 2018 and will also post L. japonica separately.

Regards

J.M. Garg

May 4, 2018, 12:29:50 AM5/4/18
to Anil Thakur, efloraofindia, Ashwini Bhatia
Thanks, Anil ji

Ashwini Bhatia

May 4, 2018, 10:31:17 PM5/4/18
to Anil Thakur, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Thank you once again Anil ji.
Message has been deleted

Saroj Kasaju

May 23, 2024, 6:41:45 AMMay 23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Anil Thakur, Ashwini Bhatia, J.M. Garg
All 3 images of Lonicera !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 4:24 PM Anil Thakur <aniltha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Kindly recheck 2nd and 3rd photographs.
Regards

Anil Thakur

May 23, 2024, 6:42:10 AMMay 23
to eFloraofIndia
Garg ji, Kindly remove photograph no. 2 and 3, which belongs to L. japonica.
Regards