DV - 09OCT10 - 0440 :: Luffa ¿ acutangula / ELSE ?

Dinesh Valke

Oct 13, 2010, 6:46:23 AM10/13/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Please validate whether Luffa acutangula OR else.

Date/Time
: October 9, 2010 at 4.40pm IST
Location Place : Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary
Altitude : 87 m (above mean sea level)
GPS : 19°24'33.71"N, 72°54'1.68"E

Habitat : semi-deciduous forest, among annual growth of plants along road

Plant
Habit
: climber
Length : about 3 - 4 m

Leaves
Type
: simple, alternate, angularly lobed
Shape : cordate
Size : about 6 - 8 x 5 - 6 in

Inflorescence
Type
: cluster, rising from axil on a long and slender stalk

Flowers
Size
: about 1 - 1¼ in
Colour : yellow

Fruits
Type
: gourd
Shape : cylindrical with slight bulge at the free end, ... with faint ridges
Size : about 5 - 7 in

Regards.

P1260962.jpg
P1260915.jpg
P1260916.jpg
P1260921.jpg
P1260922.jpg
P1260925.jpg
P1260931.jpg
P1260940.jpg

tanay bose

Oct 13, 2010, 10:01:33 AM10/13/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
For me this is Luffa acutangula. I think this is escape cultivar
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Dinesh Valke

Oct 13, 2010, 10:18:56 AM10/13/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Many thanks dear Tanay ... the same thought in my mind too ... the 5 - 6 inch fruited plant is quite common in waste places in urban area of Mumbai and Thane ... normally what is found on the internet are quite longer and bigger fruits.

Thus the revised query is:
1) is this plant L. acutangula indeed / else which species
2) is it some specific variety of L. acutangula

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2010, 10:21:57 AM10/13/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
This one is wild, L. acutanugula var. amara

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2010, 10:23:28 AM10/13/10
to Dinesh Valke, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Here is the link

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

Oct 13, 2010, 10:29:08 AM10/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Gurcharan ji for resolving my queries and for the ID.
Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Oct 13, 2010, 11:16:20 AM10/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji ... perhaps going to contaminate this thread with another species ... therefore not attaching a picture ... requesting you to visit this link ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/1426524877/sizes/l/ ... to find a similar sized gourd, seemingly smooth all over (or could be the ridges did not develop on this fruit) ... is this a similar version of wild variety of L. cylindrica ?

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2010, 11:28:52 AM10/13/10
to Dinesh Valke, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Dinesh please have look at this L. amara

Perhaps if you get old of mature fruit, things would be clearer. The ends are supposed to be rounded.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

Oct 13, 2010, 11:32:39 AM10/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, efloraofindia
... many thanks Gurcharan ji for the clarity.
Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Oct 14, 2010, 7:21:04 AM10/14/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Luffa acutanugula var. amara is commonly known as: bitter luffa, wild luffa, wild ribbed gourd, wild ridge gourd .......... Bengali: তিতা ধুন্দুল tita dhundul .......... Gujarati: કડવી ઘિસોડી kadvi ghisodi .......... Hindi: बन तुरई ban turai .......... Kannada: ಕಹಿಹೀರೆಯ ಬಳ್ಳಿ kahihireya balli .......... Konkani: कोडु घोसाळे kodu ghosaale .......... Malayalam: athanga .......... Marathi: दिवाळी divali, कडूदोडकी kadu-dodaki .......... Sanskrit: जालिनी jalini, तिक्त कोषातकी tikta-koshataki .......... Tamil: ஆகாசவேணி akaca-veni, பேய்ப்பீர்க்கு pey-p-pirkku, தித்தகோசாதகி tittakocataki .......... Telugu: అడవి బీర adavi bira, చేదు బీర chedu bira, వెర్రి బీర verri bira .......... Urdu: بن ترئي ban turai

Please help me with native script of Malayalam for athanga.