Plant for ID | 09June2010AR01

raghu ananth

Jun 7, 2010, 11:56:15 PM6/7/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Regional Name : Gomate Hannu, [Kannaada]

Date/Time :

16 May 2010 5:46PM

Location- Place, altitude and GPS:

Katnal, Krishnaraja nagar Mysore district,

Habitat- garden/ urban/wild/type:

Village

Plant Habit-tree/shrub/climber/herb:

 Herb, Grows in the Paddy field water channels.

Height/length:

-

Leaves-type/shape/size:

7 cms, As in the picture

Inflorescence type /size:

-

Flowers-size/colour/calyx/bracts:

2cms, Yellow,

Fruits type-shape/size/seeds:

fruit size 5cms, Ovate,  appears like a miniature of a water melon, cream white seeds,

Fragrance/odour/pollinator/uses  and so  on:

 Non edible fruit. this plant/fruit is not used for any purpose locally.

DSC_3468b.jpg
DSC_3465.jpg
DSC_3462.jpg

Neil Soares

Jun 8, 2010, 12:04:30 AM6/8/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Hi Raghu,
   It is the Wild Cucumber [Cucumis trigonis] locally called Davderi / Karit. Please check the archives of this group for my photographs of this plant.
                              Regards,
                               Neil.

tanay bose

Jun 8, 2010, 12:09:17 AM6/8/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Dear Neil ji,
I hope there is a small mistake the plant is Cucumis trigonus Roxb., possibly a typographical error.
Regards
Tanay

Neil Soares

Jun 8, 2010, 12:24:21 AM6/8/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Thanks Tanay.
          Regards,
            Neil.

raghu ananth

Jun 8, 2010, 12:43:12 AM6/8/10
to Neil Soares, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Neil, Thanks Tanay,

Eflora discussion thread on Cucumis trigonus Roxb.

The literature says "Endemic to Maharashtra" ? I have seen this climber herb many times in my locality.

Every farmer in our region knows and spells this herb as as "Gomate" [Kannada]. However in the internet/plant systematics this popular name is still obscure. I think the farmers cannot be wrong.

Regards
Raghu

Jun 8, 2010, 12:59:43 AM6/8/10
to raghu ananth, Neil Soares, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
 Cucumis trigonus. The fruits are sold in local market.The slices of fruits are dried and the dried  slices are fried and eaten with Dal Bhat. Dried slices are also sold in Jabalur market near Kamaniya Gate.
Satish

Dr. Satish Kumar Chile