Campanulaceae & Gentianaceae Fortnight: Campanulaceae-Campanula cana from Manali-GSJUL02

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 1, 2014, 1:08:59 PM7/1/14
to efloraofindia
Campanula cana Wall. in Roxb., Fl. Ind. 2: 101. 1824.

There has been a long discussion on this plant when Prashant ji uploaded his plant, which we now agree to be Campanula pallida var. pallida.

The photographs uploaded by me here after comparing several others appear Campanula cana ( and not C. pallida as depicted on FOI) more firmly because.

1. The following links on Flora of China which resemble mine:

2. The plant, leaves, calyx are softly hairy and giving whitish hue to these parts, and not bristly.
3. calyx lobes nearly linear to subulate, not triangular and not toothed, more or less spreading.
4. Corolla lobes almost as long as tube and somewhat spreading.
5. style slightly exserted (and not included as in C. pallida) and clearly 3-lobed stigma.

The flower colour does look lighter than in description, but it matches with eFl of China photographs.

There has been inconclusive discussion on this plant when uploaded earlier.Hope it is resolved this time

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Campanula-cana-Manali-1.jpg
Campanula-cana-Manali-2.jpg
Campanula-cana-Manali-3.jpg

D.S Rawat

Jul 2, 2014, 7:09:44 AM7/2/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
It is a frequent species in temperate Uttarakhand. Hope the expert of Campanulaceae will resolve the ID this time.
DSRawat Pantnagar

J.M. Garg

Jul 11, 2014, 5:50:20 AM7/11/14
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh

Forwarding again for validation please.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2380 members & 1,93,000 messages on 30/6/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Campanula-cana-Manali-1.jpg
Campanula-cana-Manali-2.jpg
Campanula-cana-Manali-3.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 19, 2014, 9:08:47 AM7/19/14
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, D.S Rawat
Forwarding again for validation please.

Jul 21, 2014, 11:48:18 PM7/21/14
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh

Jul 21, 2014, 11:51:40 PM7/21/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
C. colorata is old name for C. pallida
I have already explained why it can't be C. pallida

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Saroj Kumar Kasaju

Jan 2, 2021, 12:31:10 PM1/2/21
to efloraofindia
I guess Campanula pallida Wall. should be the correct ID.
Thank you
Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Jan 2, 2021, 9:05:23 PM1/2/21
to efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh, Saroj Kasaju

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Jan 2, 2021, 9:07:56 PM1/2/21
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, GurcharanSingh

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 3, 2021, 11:14:56 AM1/3/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
I request you to compare the calyx a deciding character

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Campanula-pallida-Chakrata Deovan herbal Garden-DSC00705-Chakrata-4.jpg
Campanula-cana-Manali-24-10-DSC07275-Manali-3.jpg