Flora of Uttarakhand- Herb6D for Id- JM

J.M. Garg

Nov 17, 2010, 11:42:48 PM11/17/10
to efloraofindia
Wild Herb captured on 13/8/10 during the trek from Ghangaria (around 11,000 ft.) to Hemkunt Sahib (around 14000 ft.).
Leaves looked different in both my postings earlier identified as Polygonum affine (=Bistorta affinis).
Leaves are different here also from Polygonum affine (=Bistorta affinis).
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Herb6D I2 IMG_4717.jpg
Herb6D I2 IMG_4716.jpg
Herb6D I IMG_4709.jpg
Herb6D I IMG_4716.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 18, 2010, 1:30:59 AM11/18/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I think it is the same.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ritesh Choudhary

Nov 18, 2010, 1:58:38 AM11/18/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Gurucharan sir,

Happy to take your wicket again!! Its Polygonum vacciniifolium Wall.
ex Meissn.(=Bistorta vacciniifolia).

Best regards,
Ritesh.

On Nov 18, 3:30 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it is the same.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 8:42 PM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Wild Herb captured on 13/8/10 during the trek from Ghangaria (around
> > 11,000 ft.) to Hemkunt Sahib (around 14000 ft.).
> > Leaves looked different in both my postings earlier identified as Polygonum
> > affine (=Bistorta affinis).
> > Leaves are different here also from Polygonum affine (=Bistorta affinis).
> > --
> > With regards,
> > J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> > 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
> > The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a *thousand species* &
> > eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
> > alphabetically & place-wise):
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them
> > for free as per liberal licensing conditions attached with each image.
> > For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora,
> > please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:
> >http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix(more than 1420 members &

tanay bose

Nov 18, 2010, 8:46:09 AM11/18/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Hi Ritesh
Can you help me to locate the difference between the two species.?
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Nov 18, 2010, 10:47:08 AM11/18/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Dear Tanayji,

There are a lot of differences. Pl follow the following link to know more:

Regards,
Ritesh.

--
Dr. Ritesh Kumar Chouodhary
International Biological Material Research Center

+82-42-879-8342 (O)
http://www.kribb.re.kr

"It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure." -- Albert Einstein

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 18, 2010, 11:16:02 AM11/18/10
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Ritesh ji
I am happier than you. Keep doing this often. I will learn more and eFlora group will benefit.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Tabish

Nov 18, 2010, 1:56:42 PM11/18/10
to efloraofindia
Yes, the leaves are distinctive, like that of Blueberry
http://www.naturephoto-cz.eu/vaccinium-myrtillus-picture-784.html
The species name vaccinifolia means just that. According to GRIN, the
currently accepted name is Bistorta vaccinifolia.
- Tabish
> > >http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix(morethan 1420 members &

tanay bose

Nov 18, 2010, 9:35:15 PM11/18/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks to all
Tanay

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 5, 2010, 3:12:28 PM12/5/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Polygonum vaccinifolium Wall.Numer. List [Wallich] n. 1695. 1829.

Type: Unspecified types at E, Wallich, Nathaniel 1695;

NOTE: CAN YOU IMAGINE, THE PROTOLOGUE IS JUST THE LIST OF THE SPECIES
WRITTEN IN HIS OWN HANDWRITING BY N.WALLICH IN "Numerical list of
dried specimens of plants in the Museum of the Honl. East India
Company /which have been supplied by Dr. Wallich, superintendent of
the botanic garden at Calcutta." and then there are those specimens
with exact numbers kept at Edinburgh. This is the beauty of going
through original references and protologues and types. They had been
so well maintained.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)