Magnolia grandiflora

Kshounish Sankar Ray

Apr 11, 2008, 11:15:20 AM4/11/08
to indiantreepix
Hi,

Posting images of a flowering Magnolia grandiflora in a central Kolkata garden. The tree despite its age, is thin and spindly, in contrast to the huge branching specimens found in the hills. I think it is called 'himchampa' in Bengali and flowers once in April here. They emit a lovely scent which is evident only early in the morning.

Regards,
Kshounish S Ray,
Kolkata
Magnolia-grandiflora-IMG-0196.jpg
Magnolia-grandiflora-IMG-0202.jpg

satish phadke

Apr 11, 2008, 11:26:33 AM4/11/08
to Kshounish Sankar Ray, indiantreepix
Lovely Photograph Kshounish
I can even smell it here by looking at it.
Such a remote beauty.
Thanks for sharing
Satish
--
SATISFIED http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/

J.M. Garg

Apr 11, 2008, 8:35:16 PM4/11/08
to satish phadke, Kshounish Sankar Ray, indiantreepix
Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_grandiflora:

Magnolia grandiflora, commonly known as the Southern magnolia or bull bay, is a magnolia native to the southeastern United States, from coastal Virginia south to central Florida, and west to East Texas. It is a medium to large tree 20-30 m tall with a striking appearance, both in leaf and in bloom.

The leaves are evergreen, simple and broadly ovate, 12-20 cm long and 6-12 cm broad, with smooth margins. They are dark green, stiff and leathery, and often scurfy underneath with yellow-brown pubescence. They will bronze, blotch, and burn in severe winters at the northern limits of cultivation, but most still cling until they are replaced by new foliage in the spring. In climates where the ground freezes, winter sun appears to do more damage than the cold itself. In the northern hemisphere the south side of the tree will experience more leaf damage than the north side of the tree. Two extremes are known, with leaves white underneath and with leaves brown underneath. The brown varieties are claimed to be more cold-hardy than the white varieties, but this does not appear to be proven as yet.

The large, showy, citronella-scented flowers are white, up to 30 cm across and fragrant, with 6-12 petals with a waxy texture, emerging from the tips of twigs on mature trees in late spring.

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

Kshounish Sankar Ray

Apr 12, 2008, 10:22:34 AM4/12/08
to J.M. Garg, satish phadke, indiantreepix

Sorry, I couldn't get a clear picture of the whole tree, I dont have the wide angle lens and the space was cramped, but I am posting pictures of the leaves and the bark.
Regards,
Kshounish

SATISFIED http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/

With regards,