Srinagar, April 2023 :: Salix-2 for ID :: ARK2023-005

Alka Khare

May 14, 2023, 12:59:21 AM5/14/23
to eFloraofIndia
Hello friends

This Salix was captured at Tangmarg, J&K in April 2023.

Requested to please ID.

Thanks and regards
Alka Khare
Salix_Srinagar Tangmarg2.HEIC
Salix_Srinagar Tangmarg1.HEIC

Alka Khare

May 14, 2023, 1:03:00 AM5/14/23
to eFloraofIndia
These are images clicked on the phone. When I upload these images here, they change their orientation.
Is anyone else facing these issues?

Regards
Alka Khare

Mahadeswara

May 14, 2023, 7:41:30 AM5/14/23
to eFloraofIndia
It is easy to change the orientation  by editing the photos.

taffa...@gmail.com

May 15, 2023, 6:35:11 AM5/15/23
to eFloraofIndia
From the silky white appearance of the ventral side of the leaves it seems to be the male tree of common Kashmir willow ("Wir"  in Kashmiri)  Salix alba. Its wood is used for making cricket bats and branches with leaves are economically important as after drying they provide fodder for cattle ,sheep and goats during the winter months. Its dense flowered yellow catkins are a prominent feature of the local landscape from January to April. Its range extends from Temperate to Subalpine ,Alpine (As per Flora of Kashmir Himalayas by Dhar and Kachroo 1983)
Incidentally Tangmarg (Height about 2100 m asl)is in District  Baramulla and not District Srinagar ( Height of Srinagar city and suburbs is about 1600 m asl).This is rather important as the flora changes markedly with the change in height above sea level.
Regards
Taffazull

M Swamy

May 15, 2023, 7:29:20 AM5/15/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Very useful information Taffaji ! Excellent !
Thanks & Regards,

taffa...@gmail.com

May 15, 2023, 8:24:06 AM5/15/23
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Swamy ji,
Thanks for the appreciation
Regards
Taffazull

taffa...@gmail.com

May 15, 2023, 8:27:01 AM5/15/23
to eFloraofIndia
Flowering season is March to April.January is a typo.
Regards
Taffazull

J.M. Garg

May 16, 2023, 3:12:30 AM5/16/23
to efloraofindia, Alka
Alka ji,
Any habit image?
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg

May 16, 2023, 3:13:10 AM5/16/23
to efloraofindia, TAFA, Alka
Thanks, Taffazull ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Alka Khare

May 16, 2023, 11:51:02 PM5/16/23
to eFloraofIndia
Thanks Taffazull ji for the ID. And yes, and next time I will be mindful of the altitude.

Garg ji, this was a medium sized tree. Apologies, but no habit images.

Thanks and regards
Alka Khare

J.M. Garg

May 21, 2023, 2:02:55 AM5/21/23
to Alka, efloraofindia
Hi, Alka ji,
I am unable to open these images.
May I request you to post JPEG images.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
Salix_Srinagar Tangmarg2.HEIC
Salix_Srinagar Tangmarg1.HEIC

Alka Khare

May 23, 2023, 11:13:51 PM5/23/23
to eFloraofIndia
JPG images attached

Regards
Alka Khare

Salix alba_Srinagar Tangmarg3.JPG
Salix alba_Srinagar Tangmarg1.JPG
Salix alba_Srinagar Tangmarg4.JPG
Salix alba_Srinagar Tangmarg2.JPG

Alka Khare

May 23, 2023, 11:14:58 PM5/23/23
to eFloraofIndia
2 more
Salix alba_Srinagar Tangmarg2a.jpg
Salix alba_Srinagar Tangmarg5.JPG

Shakir Ahmad

May 24, 2023, 2:34:01 AM5/24/23
to eFloraofIndia
Could be S. fragilis

J.M. Garg

May 26, 2023, 6:43:30 AM5/26/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, saadiks...@gmail.com, TAFA, Alka
I do not think so.
I think appears close to images at (as suggested by Taffazull ji):
https://efloraofindia.com/2011/12/27/salix-alba-1/

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg