Martynia Annua : Devil's Claws ; Tiger's claws : AK

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 5, 2010, 3:58:31 AM4/5/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Taken growing in Nasik, Maharashtra on the roadside on 25th of September,09.
Aarti
DSCN8590.JPG
DSCN8830.JPG
DSCN8831.JPG
DSCN8832.JPG

Satish Chile

Apr 5, 2010, 6:47:01 AM4/5/10
to Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Arti ji

Nice photogrph of Martynia annua, a member of Martyniaceae. Often found in roadside location.

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 12:58 AM, Aarti S. Khale <aarti...@gmail.com> wrote:
Taken growing in Nasik, Maharashtra on the roadside on 25th of September,09.
Aarti

Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Vasant Barve

Apr 5, 2010, 11:53:11 AM4/5/10
to Satish Chile, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
This is called as nakti, It has two strong hook thorns. The seeds are coal dark. Other end of seed has an eye. So one can make a long chain of these seeds.
I am told they put this chappals to make some sound karr S r S
The plants come up after mansoon

Barve
=========================
(*    I have posted Three Jug puzzle & some  interesting  Puzzles  on  my blog  http://virtuallab.in/blog/      **)

Dr. Vasant Barve
# 5 Dhanalaxmi Apartments,
Shivagiri Colony, Gangapur Road,
Nashik 422 005 (India)
Phone 0253 234 2563 (R), 94227 30724 (M)

Kenneth Greby

Apr 5, 2010, 12:32:28 PM4/5/10
to Vasant Barve, Satish Chile, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Curiously, some of these growing at a friend's house here in California, USA have seedpods divided into three hooks instead of the typical two. They are otherwise identical.

Regards--
Ken.

Apr 5, 2010, 12:42:35 PM4/5/10
to Kenneth Greby, Vasant Barve, Satish Chile, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
lovely set of photo Arati ji...............
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Vasant Barve

Apr 5, 2010, 1:14:20 PM4/5/10
to Kenneth Greby, Satish Chile, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
If possible try to send a photo of flower & seed

barve
===================

Satish Phadke

Apr 6, 2010, 11:17:53 AM4/6/10
to Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Attaching my pictures of fruits and seeds.Seeds are very much woody and clawed.
Satish

--
Martynia annua3fruits.jpg
Martynia annua6.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Apr 6, 2010, 3:04:08 PM4/6/10
to Satish Phadke, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
 It looks like what I thought were 3-parted fruits on my plants here in California, USA are actually 5-parted. Seems likely that this is a different species.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/DSC00228-1.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/DSC00227.jpg

Regards--
Ken.

Apr 7, 2010, 2:22:59 AM4/7/10
to Kenneth Greby, Satish Phadke, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

'Martynia Annua' is called 'Vinchavi' 'विंचवी' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568 / 9422317979

Dinesh Valke

Apr 7, 2010, 2:40:09 AM4/7/10
to Swagat, Kenneth Greby, Satish Phadke, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Martynia Annua is commonly known as: devil's claw, iceplant, tiger's-claw • Bengali: বাঘনখী baghnakhi • Hindi: बाघनख baghnakh, हाथाजोड़ी hatha-jori, उलट-कांटा ulat-kanta • Kannada: ಗರುಡ ಮೂಗು ಮುಳ್ಳು garuda mugu mullu, ಹುಲಿ ನಖ huli nakha, ಹುಲಿ ಉಗುರು huli uguru • Malayalam: പുലിനഖം puli-nakham • Marathi: विंचवी vinchavi, विंचू vinchu • Nepalese: बिरालो-नङ्ग्रि biralo-nangri, ग्रिध्दरनंकी gridharnankee • Oriya: baghanakhi • Sanskrit: काकनसा kakanasa • Tamil: புலிநகம் puli-nakam, தேட்கொடுக்கி tet-kotukki • Telugu: గరుడముకు garudamukku

Regards.

shobha chavda

Apr 16, 2010, 8:00:58 AM4/16/10
to efloraofindia
I had seen these flowers on Kaas Plateau near Satara in last monsoon.
Shobha

On Apr 7, 11:40 am, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Martynia Annua *is commonly known as: devil's claw, iceplant, tiger's-claw
> • Bengali: বাঘনখী baghnakhi • Hindi: बाघनख baghnakh, हाथाजोड़ी hatha-jori,
> उलट-कांटा ulat-kanta • Kannada: ಗರುಡ ಮೂಗು ಮುಳ್ಳು garuda mugu mullu, ಹುಲಿ ನಖ
> huli nakha, ಹುಲಿ ಉಗುರು huli uguru • Malayalam: പുലിനഖം puli-nakham •
> Marathi: विंचवी vinchavi, विंचू vinchu • Nepalese: बिरालो-नङ्ग्रि
> biralo-nangri, ग्रिध्दरनंकी gridharnankee • Oriya: baghanakhi • Sanskrit:
> काकनसा kakanasa • Tamil: புலிநகம் puli-nakam, தேட்கொடுக்கி tet-kotukki •
> Telugu: గరుడముకు garudamukku
>
> Regards.
>
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Swagat <swagat1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear all,
>
> > *'Martynia Annua' *is called *'Vinchavi' 'विंचवी' *in Marathi.
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/941...
>
> > Regards,
>
> > ~Swagat
> > 9223217568 / 9422317979
> > 2010/4/7 Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com>
>
> >   It looks like what I thought were 3-parted fruits on my plants here in
> >> California, USA are actually 5-parted. Seems likely that this is a different
> >> species.
>
> >>http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/DSC00228-1.jpg
> >>http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/DSC00227.jpg
>
> >> Regards--
> >> Ken.
>
> >>  ------------------------------

Ushadi micromini

Aug 23, 2011, 1:36:09 PM8/23/11
to Kenneth Greby, efloraofindia

Says images not found on both these links, are they some place else?

Usha di
==

On Apr 7 2010, 12:04 am, Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  It looks like what I thought were 3-parted fruits on my plants here in California, USA are actually 5-parted. Seems likely that this is a different species.
>

> http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/DSC00228-1.jpghttp://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/DSC00227.jpg
>
> Regards--
> Ken.
>
> ________________________________

Vaibhav Malpathak

Sep 30, 2018, 6:42:20 AM9/30/18
to efloraofindia
Can u share exact location in NASIK ??
I m from Nasik I want to see the plant.
Regards

Ushadi Micromini

Sep 30, 2018, 9:42:12 AM9/30/18
to vaibhavm...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
that was in 2009
would it still be around?

this paper says its an annual:  http://www.ukjpb.com/article_details.php?id=2
i quote/copy paste from it
".Among different medicinal plants M. annua are used in Indian traditional medicine and in folklore for many diseases. The leaves and fruits are the biologically active part of M.annua7, 8M. annua belongs to family Martyniaceae (or Pedaliaceae), is a well-known small herbaceous annual plant, distributed throughout India. It is commonly known as the Cat`s claw or Devil`s claw refers to the inner woody capsule which splits open at one end into two curved horns or claws. They produce strange seed pods that attach to the feet and legs of large animals, and include some of the largest hitchhiker fruits in the world9." end quote.

good luck since its an annual, and its like weed once established, you may yet find it in undisturbed areas, like old abandoned yards, plots were owner has not built houses yet etc.
usha di

Usha di

J.M. Garg

Oct 14, 2018, 3:00:14 AM10/14/18
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, vaibhavm...@gmail.com
Hi, Aarti ji,
Pl. help if you know the location.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).