Droseras from KAAS..

arvind kadus

Aug 7, 2010, 11:46:45 AM8/7/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All, Here are some pictures of Droseras from the beutiful KAS Pathar, Satara.
All the pictures are taken in Sept.2009.
Regards,
Dr. Kadus Arvind, Pune.

Drosera indica 1.JPG
Drosera indica croped Image.jpg
Drosera burmani 1.JPG
Drosera burmani croped image.JPG

ajinkya gadave

Aug 7, 2010, 11:49:53 AM8/7/10
to arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com

great  !!!!!

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 7, 2010, 1:12:14 PM8/7/10
to ajinkya gadave, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice, what species are they. I am sure if Aparna is seeing this, she would be happier than me..... :)
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 7, 2010, 10:44:11 PM8/7/10
to Pankaj Kumar, ajinkya gadave, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Really nice photos

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

mani nair

Aug 7, 2010, 11:46:29 PM8/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, ajinkya gadave, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think they are carnivorous plants.  As soon as one insect sits on the flower the flower closes and it uses the insects juices as its food.

Regards,

Mani.

arvind kadus

Aug 8, 2010, 2:29:33 AM8/8/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, mani nair
Dear Sir,
Yes they are Carnivorus plants, very little one. one of thos is Drosera indica really at the size of the nail of our thumb.We had catched the pictures of the plant with the insects. This plant is having the filaments with the lobes containig the sticky material. When the insect get attracted towards the plant( by its colour or other features), it get stucked on the filaments.Then slowly these filaments get themselve rolled over this insect and by these bulbs starting sucking the proteins from the insect. This process is of around 60 mnts.
There is onother variety of drosera we have seen in Lavasa city last year. Attaching the picture of it. Please see.
Thanx.
Dr.Kadus arvind,Pune.

Drosera having Bulbs at the rootend..jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 8, 2010, 12:11:04 PM8/8/10
to mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, ajinkya gadave, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
They indeed are carnivorous plants!!! Drosera are known to be like
that way only...
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 8, 2010, 12:15:28 PM8/8/10
to arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com, mani nair

This doesnt look like Drosera, but most probably Utricularia!!
Pankaj

Prashant awale

Aug 8, 2010, 12:45:27 PM8/8/10
to Pankaj Kumar, mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, ajinkya gadave, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,
Would like to share inflorescence of Drosera Burmani. I always wanted to see its inflorescence, finally got it at Patharpunj in Chandoli reserve forest. Do have a look at enclosed pic.
regards
Prashant
Drosera burmani1.jpg
IMG_4873.jpg

Prashant awale

Aug 8, 2010, 12:54:00 PM8/8/10
to Pankaj Kumar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com, mani nair
Dear Arvind ji, Pankaj ji,
I got the opportunity to see the inflorescence of Drosera Indica. Sharing these photos. I had photographed this on the way to Dukes nose (Lonavala region) few years back.
regards
Prashant
Drosera indica-08936.JPG
Drosera Indica-8935.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 8, 2010, 12:55:25 PM8/8/10
to Prashant awale, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com, mani nair
thanks a lot for sharing....beautiful pics...
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 8, 2010, 12:58:45 PM8/8/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com, mani nair
Yes Prashant ji
Very nice pictures.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Aparna Watve

Aug 8, 2010, 1:18:30 PM8/8/10
to Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar, mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, ajinkya gadave, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Pankaj and all
So nice to see Drosera indica (green) and D. burmanni (red).
One correction Mani- the flowers are always and only for reproduction.
It is the leaf which is modified for trapping insects. The glandular
hair on the leaf do the actual work.
The last Hornbill (BNHS magazine) issue has my article on the Indian
carnivorous plants, with stunning close-up pics from Ashok Captain,
Dr. Pankaj and Hemanth.
Regards
Aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve

tanay bose

Aug 8, 2010, 8:02:53 PM8/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com, mani nair
I also think some Species of Urticularia sp
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

tanay bose

Aug 8, 2010, 8:05:35 PM8/8/10
to Aparna Watve, Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar, mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, ajinkya gadave, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice collection od Drosera photos
Tanay

Vijayadas D

Aug 9, 2010, 12:11:09 AM8/9/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com, mani nair
I like to note this as Drosera sps.
--
Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy

Dr. Arvind Kadus

Aug 10, 2010, 11:28:03 AM8/10/10
to efloraofindia, pka...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com
Hi,All !
I have to make some corrections in my photoes. Yes the red one is D.
burmani and green one is D.indica. Just a typing mistake. The last one
added by me is not the drosera but Utricularia sp. at Lavasa. Sorry
for the mistakes. Actually I am not a Botonist, So please forgive.
Nice pictures with flowering of D. indica. by Prashantaji. Thank you
for this sharing with us.
Don't know about the medicinal values of this plant. Plumbago
zeylanica is one of the plants I think preveously must be the drosera.
Because it is having the bulb with sticky filaments over it.
Dr. Kadus Arvind.Pune.

On Aug 9, 9:11 am, Vijayadas D <dvijaya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like to note this as Drosera sps.
>

> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 3:02 AM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I also think some Species of Urticularia sp
> > tanay
>
> >   On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Yes Prashant ji
> >> Very nice pictures.
>
> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

> >  --
> > Tanay Bose
> > +91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
> > 9830439691(Mobile)
>
> --
> Vijayadas D
> Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy
> Salwa Garden Village, PB -7210
> Riyadh -11462 , KSA
> vijayadas.wetpaint.com- Hide quoted text -

Aparna Watve

Aug 11, 2010, 1:19:24 AM8/11/10
to Dr. Arvind Kadus, efloraofindia, pka...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com
Dear Dr. Kadus,
Can you elaborate on the habitat where you found the Utricularia
species? If you found it growing on vertical rock faces, boulders or
tree trunks and if all the leaves are rounded as in the photograph, it
is could be Utricularia striatula, the common lithophytic/epiphytic
Utricularia in the Western Ghats.
Plumbago zeylanica, and many species of Smithia have sticky glandular
hair, where insects get stuck many times. They die there, but the
plant has NO mechanism to digest and use their nutrients. Hence the
plants are not carnivorous in any sense. However, some scientists,
call this condition, "protocarnivory", that means a step before
carnivory is achieved. So according to them, such plants might in
evolutionary times (say a few million years in future) also develop a
mechanism to digest plants and learn to digest the insects, and hence
evolve to be truly carnivorous. You can search the wikipedia, which
gives more details of this phenomenon.
Regards,
Aparna

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 11, 2010, 1:59:16 AM8/11/10
to Aparna Watve, Dr. Arvind Kadus, efloraofindia, pka...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com
Presence of Glandular hairs doesnt imply that the plant would be
carnivorous at all, but the presence of digestive enzymes. They are
most often used as defense mechanism against pests. Yes carnivory is
an evolutionary achievement, but its limited to those plants who may
not be efficient enough to produce their own food by normal means,
like, they may not have well developed root system or foliage system
or chlorophyll pigments etc.
Dear Aparna, thanks a lot for the term protocarnivorous or
paracarnivorous plants. I was not much aware of these. Infact I have
one plant which I feel to be carnivorous, but there is no published
information on it.
Will share it with you on separate mail.

Please do continue to participate on eflora more frequently, it needs
sensible experts like you to be a part of it.

Regards
Pankaj

J.M. Garg

Sep 19, 2010, 4:22:47 AM9/19/10
to efloraofindia, arvind kadus, Aparna, Milind Sardesai, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, tanay bose

Earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)
For learning about Indian Flora, visit/ join Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1360 members & 47,000 messages on 10/9/10)

Drosera having Bulbs at the rootend..jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 22, 2010, 12:57:47 AM9/22/10
to efloraofindia, arvind kadus, Aparna, Milind Sardesai, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, tanay bose
A reply from Milind ji:
"it is Utricularia straitula"