Ornamental Plant for ID, Hyderabad NAW-JUL21-01

nadeem waqif

Jul 29, 2021, 10:50:41 AM7/29/21
to efloraofindia
Kindly identify this ornamental plant about 30cm in height, with leaves arranged spirally, leaves about 15 x 6 cm, segmented stems about 8 mm diameter.
IMG_20210729_200427-01.jpeg
IMG_20210729_201154-01.jpeg
IMG_20210729_200451-01.jpeg

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Jul 29, 2021, 1:46:19 PM7/29/21
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Resembles Chamaecostus cuspidatus,
need flowers for conformation,
With regards.

image.gif
Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 07/29/21, 11:13:53 PM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 at 20:20, nadeem waqif <nadeem...@gmail.com> wrote:
Kindly identify this ornamental plant about 30cm in height, with leaves arranged spirally, leaves about 15 x 6 cm, segmented stems about 8 mm diameter.

Mahadeswara

Jul 30, 2021, 12:14:51 AM7/30/21
to efloraofindia
Yes. I concur with Anjaneyulu ji.  I have grown this plant in my house.   Leaves are used as anti-diabetic.  In Kannada it is called 'sakkare gida' and in english many call it as 'insulin plant'.

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Jul 30, 2021, 12:39:13 AM7/30/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you, Mahadeswara Ji,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 07/30/21, 10:08:18 AM

J.M. Garg

Aug 8, 2021, 3:09:08 AM8/8/21
to efloraofindia, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, M Swamy
Thanks, Paradesi ji and Mahadeswara ji.
IMG_20210729_200427-01.jpeg
IMG_20210729_201154-01.jpeg
IMG_20210729_200451-01.jpeg

J.M. Garg

Aug 8, 2021, 11:13:50 AM8/8/21
to efloraofindia, Nadeem Waqif, Paradesi Anjaneyulu

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Aug 9, 2021, 9:15:14 AM8/9/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
I found these yellow flowers on other specimens in the same nursery in Hyderabad a couple of days later.
signal-2021-08-09-183718_001.jpeg
signal-2021-08-09-183718_002.jpeg
signal-2021-08-09-183718_003.jpeg

J.M. Garg

Aug 18, 2021, 5:58:53 AM8/18/21
to efloraofindia, Nadeem Waqif

J.M. Garg

Aug 18, 2021, 5:59:16 AM8/18/21
to efloraofindia, Nadeem Waqif

With regards,
J.M.Garg
signal-2021-08-09-183718_001.jpeg
signal-2021-08-09-183718_002.jpeg
signal-2021-08-09-183718_003.jpeg

J.M. Garg

Aug 18, 2021, 11:02:08 PM8/18/21
to efloraofindia, Nadeem Waqif, M Swamy
Thanks a lot, Sabu ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Mahadeswara

Aug 20, 2021, 12:50:03 AM8/20/21
to efloraofindia
Mamiyil Sabuji .,
What are  the differentiating characters between  the genus Chamaecostus  & Costus .
Thanks,

J.M. Garg

Jun 6, 2022, 7:48:19 AM6/6/22
to efloraofindia, Nadeem Waqif, M Swamy, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
C. pictus as per further feedback from Sabu ji at New flower in our garden sir

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 12, 2023, 8:35:36 AM8/12/23
to eFloraofIndia
We have to decide whether our plant is Costus pictus D. Don (Syn:  Costus congestus Rowlee;  Costus mexicanus Liebm.) or  Chamaecostus cuspidatus (Nees & Mart.) C.D.Specht & D.W.Stev. (Syn:  Costus igneus N.E.Br.). We have to note that they belong to two different genera.

J.M. Garg

Aug 22, 2023, 1:05:18 AM8/22/23
to efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh
Thanks, Singh ji.
Maybe Sabu ji clarifies the following further for all of us: