Androsace muscoidea in FOI

J.M. Garg

Mar 20, 2022, 12:32:03 PM3/20/22
to efloraofindia, Thingnam Girija, Tabish

Tabish

Mar 20, 2022, 1:25:50 PM3/20/22
to efloraofindia
Thank you Garg ji,
  I think you are right that it is not  Androsace muscoidea. However, I don't think it is A. globifera, as the images don't quite agree, and A. globifera is found in Eastern Himalayas, and not in Ladakh. I think this plant is Androsace villosa. Compare with the images at POWO. I am attaching higher resolution images. The calyx particularly agrees. Compare with images here too:
   Best wishes
   Tabish
tp586.jpg
tp584.jpg
tp583.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 23, 2022, 11:59:33 AM3/23/22
to efloraofindia, Tabish
Thanks, Tabish ji.
There is a real confusion over here.
I could not find Androsace villosa, though distribution is given in POWO and CoL.
Flora of Pakistan gives Androsace robusta ssp. robusta (Androsace jacquemontii var. robusta (R.Knuth) Govaerts in POWO). It says:
The ssp. robusta differs from the European Androsace villosa in its robust habit and with larger plant parts. ....................
The species Androsace robusta has also been confused with and included in Androsace muscoidea by several authors (Handel-Mazzetti 1927, p. 163 and Gould 1982). The two taxa are quite distinct not only morphologically but also occupy to a greater extent different areas.

Also see A.villosa and A.robusta in Androsace World.

Here are keys from Flora of Pakistan:
18 (17)Leaf rosettes 3-6 mm broad, globose. Leaves ± incurved, 2.1-4.5 x 1.1-1.5 mm. Scape up to 8 mm long, 1-2-flowered 16 Androsace muscoidea
+Leaf rosettes loose or if globose then 4-14 mm broad. Leaves not incurved, 3-11 x 1-2.8 mm. Scape (5-) 7-90 mm long, 3-12-flowered (19)

19 (18)Plants robust. Leaves densely appressed villous, cinerascent green or silky white (20)
+Plants of a ± slender habit. Leaves sub-glabrous to pubescent-villous, but not densely so (21)

20 (19)Rhizome woody, c. 4.5 mm thick. Scape up to 10 mm long. Seed with a prominent hilum scar 11 Androsace villosissima
+Rhizome and seed not as above. Scape 40-95 mm 10 Androsace robusta

After going through all this I am also leaning towards Androsace villosa.

With regards,
J.M.Garg