ficus benjamina---Needs id confirmation

vinod kumar gupta

May 15, 2008, 10:54:14 AM5/15/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com, pradeep krishen
Few  preetty big fruiting trees at entry to sultanpur national park.Taken on 18.4.8

An id help would be appreciated

Vinod

ficus-benjamina var.comosa_spr_283_180408.jpg

Kenneth Greby

May 15, 2008, 11:31:48 AM5/15/08
to vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com, pradeep krishen
Vinod--

 Definitely appears to be a variant of Ficus benjamina, though I'm not sure if it is F.b. comosum or F.b. 'Exotica'.

Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, FL USA.

vinod kumar gupta

May 15, 2008, 1:25:51 PM5/15/08
to Kenneth Greby, indian...@googlegroups.com, pradeep krishen
Dear Ken

Thanks for the id. I cosidered F.b.cosmosa because of the  fruits,which is supposed to be orange coloured and big sized as was the case in this tree(ref.Pradip Krishen's book on trees of delhi)

Vinod

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 16, 2008, 3:55:06 AM5/16/08
to vinod kumar gupta, Kenneth Greby, indian...@googlegroups.com, pradeep krishen
there is a tree called Israeli Babool. I saw it long time back with Gujarat forest Dept. Sorry, I don't have a phhotograph. It might as well be known by some other name. If somebody gives me some more info about it, I shall be grateful.
akbhatt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 16, 2008, 1:19:51 PM5/16/08
to vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com, pradeep krishen
 l checked up in Pradip Krishan's book. ficus benjamina var. comosa has orange berries. Whereas f. benjamina var. nuda has red berries. Yours appears to be the former. All the best.
akbhatt

J.M. Garg

May 21, 2008, 4:32:55 AM5/21/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, vinod kumar gupta, indian...@googlegroups.com, pradeep krishen
Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_benjamina

The Weeping Fig or Benjamin's Fig (Ficus benjamina, Ficus benjamini) is a species of fig tree, native to south and southeast Asia and Australia. It is the official tree of Bangkok, Thailand. It is a tree reaching 30 m tall in natural conditions, with gracefully drooping branchlets and glossy leaves 6-13 cm long, oval with an acuminate tip. In its native range, its small fruit are a favorite food of some birds

In tropical latitudes, the Weeping Fig makes a very large and stately tree for parks and other urban situations, such as wide roads. It is often cultivated for this purpose.

It is a very popular house plant in temperate areas, due to its elegant growth and tolerance of poor growing conditions; it does best under bright, sunny conditions but will also tolerate considerable shade. It requires a moderate amount of watering in summer, and only enough to keep it from drying out in the winter. It does not need to be misted. The plant is sensitive to cold and should be protected from strong drafts. When grown indoors, it can grow too large for its situation, and may need drastic pruning or replacing.

The leaves are very sensitive to small changes in light. When it is re-located it reacts by dropping many of its leaves and replacing them with new leaves adapted to the new light intensity.

There are numerous cultivars available (e.g. 'Danielle', 'Naomi', 'Exotica', and 'Golden King'). Some cultivars include different patterns of colouration on the leaves, ranging from light green to dark green, and various forms of white variegation.

The miniature cultivars, especially 'Too Little', are among the most popular plant for indoor bonsai.

Weeping Fig has been shown by NASA to effectively filter indoor air toxins.[2]

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg