Vicia sativa subsp. nigra from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 31, 2010, 9:45:40 PM8/31/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Vicia sativa subsp. nigra (L) Ehrh. (syn: V. angustifolia L.)  from Kashmir, a common weed in fields, among shrubs in mountain slopes. Photographed from Baramula on June 24, 2010.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vicia-angustifolia-Kashmir-a.jpg
Vicia-angustifolia-Kashmir-b.jpg

tanay bose

Sep 1, 2010, 12:45:42 AM9/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Sir ji Thnaks I was not aware of its new name
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Shantanu

Sep 1, 2010, 4:34:24 PM9/1/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Sir,
Lovely flower.

I came to know that it is commonly called the 'Common Vetch'.
Some info about the species as follows:

Vetch is a nitrogen fixing leguminous plant. Although considered a
weed when found growing in a cultivated grainfield, this hardy plant
is often grown as green manure or livestock fodder. Horses thrive very
well on Common Vetch, even better than on clover and rye grass; the
same applies to fattening cattle, which feed faster on vetch than on
most grasses or other edible plants. Danger often arises from
livestock eating too much vetch, especially when podded; colics and
other stomach disorders are apt to be produced by the excessive loads
devoured. Common Vetch has also been part of the human diet, as
attested by carbonised remains found at early Neolithic sites in
Syria, Turkey, Bulgaria, Hungary and Slovakia. It has also been
reported from predynastic sites of ancient Egypt, and several Bronze
Age sites in Turkmenia and Slovakia. However, definite evidence for
later vetch cultivation is available only for Roman times.

regards
Shantanu : )