Castor plant

satish phadke

Oct 30, 2008, 2:29:55 AM10/30/08
to indiantreepix Indian
Castor plant image taken in Pune 2 days back.It is called as Erand in Marathi.
In our childhood we used to see a lot of these trees in our area which is named after this tree as ERAND WAN.
Satish

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Ricinus communis1.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 30, 2008, 10:24:58 PM10/30/08
to satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Lovely pictures, Satish ji,

Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil_plant

The castor oil plant, Ricinus communis, is a plant species of the Euphorbiaceae (the evolution of this plant family is relatively unexplored [1]) the sole member of the genus Ricinus and of the subtribe Ricininae. Its seed is the castor bean which, despite its name, is not a true bean.

Castor seed is the source of castor oil, which has a wide variety of uses. The seeds contain between 40% and 60% oil that is rich in triglycerides, mainly ricinolein. The seed coat contains ricin, a poison, which is also present in lower concentrations throughout the plant.

The toxicity of raw castor beans is well-known, and reports of actual poisoning are relatively rare. Children could conceivably die from as few as three beans; adults may require eight or more.

Global castor seed production is around 1 million tons per year. Leading producing areas are India (with over 60% of the global yield), China and Brazil. There are several active breeding programmes.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg