Breynia retusa

Prashant awale

Jun 27, 2010, 1:51:34 AM6/27/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Came across this Shrub at Yeoor hills, Thane. Common name: Cup- Saucer plant.

Bot. name: Breynia retusa
Family: Phyllanthaceae
Date/Time: 26-06-2010 / 07:15AM
Location: Yeoor hills, Thane

regards
Prashant
Breynia retusa-_8148c.jpg
Breynia retusa-_8367.jpg
Breynia retusa-_8374.jpg
Breynia retusa-_8161.jpg
Breynia retusa-_8158.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 27, 2010, 8:43:16 AM6/27/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Prasant Ji ,
I have no words to describe the asthetic value of the pictures, I have made one of them my wallpaper. I am adding the description of the plant.

Breynia retusa (Dennstedt) Alston, Ann. Roy. Bot. Gard. (Peradeniya). 11: 204. 1929.

Phyllanthus retusus Dennstedt, Schlüssel Hortus Malab. Register 1: 15; Register 2: 24; Register 3: 31. 1818; Breynia hyposauropus Croizat; B. patens (Roxburgh) Rolfe; Melanthesopsis patens (Roxburgh) Müller Argoviensis; P. patens Roxburgh.

Erect shrubs 0.5-3.5 m tall, glabrous throughout; branches slender. Stipules small, 1-2 × 0.6-0.7 mm; petiole 1-2.5 mm; leaf blade elliptic to slightly obovate, 1.5-3 × 0.7-1.5 cm, papery or thinly papery, abaxially grayish green or pruinose, adaxially green, base obtuse to rounded, apex rounded to subacute, mucronulate; lateral veins 3-7 pairs, slender, obscure. Flowers solitary or rarely 2 in axillary clusters. Male flowers: pedicels slender, ca. 1.5 mm; calyx campanulate to turbinate, 2-3 mm in diam., 6-lobed; sepals rounded to oblong; stamens 3, connate into 3-angled head, ca. 2 mm. Female flowers solitary; pedicels 0.5-1.5 mm; calyx campanulate, 6-lobed, ca. 4-6 mm in diam., ca. 1.5-3 mm high; sepals ovate-oblong, enlarged to ca. 12 mm in diam. in fruit; ovary globose; style present, very stout; stigmas with 3 short forked arms, ca. 0.5 mm. Fruiting pedicel 2-6 mm; capsules globose, 5-6 × 8-10 mm, exocarp fleshy, tardily dehiscent, red and ripening brown, apex smooth or with a shallow ring. Seeds 3.6-4 × 2.2-2.8 × 2.2-2.8 mm, yellow to red. Fl. Mar-Oct, fr. Feb-Mar, Jul-Aug.

Illustration: http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=109874&flora_id=2

Regards

Tanay

Tanay Bose