... Wedelia-like aster

Dinesh Valke

Sep 17, 2009, 8:41:54 AM9/17/09
to Indian Tree Pix, rashida atthar
Dear friends,

This herb growing gregariosly, standing erect, at about 1 m.
Place: Yeoor Hills (part of Sanjay Gandhi National Park)
Date: 13 SEP 09

One of the photos, a long shot has different set of plants in foreground, please note.

Regards.
P1040644.jpg
P1040639.jpg
P1040641.jpg

Neil Soares

Sep 17, 2009, 9:12:07 AM9/17/09
to Indian Tree Pix, Dinesh Valke, rashida atthar
Hi Dinesh,
   It does look like Wadelia urticaefolia.
                 Regards,
                   Neil.

Dinesh Valke

Sep 17, 2009, 9:35:11 AM9/17/09
to Neil Soares, Indian Tree Pix, rashida atthar
Neil ji, is this "Wadelia" a typo ? OR is it an accepted spelling for "Wedelia" ?
I have a feeling it is was one-time typo that is getting circulated.

I would like to believe this to be W. urticaefolia, however it looks different at FOI -- http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Nettle%20Leaved%20Wedelia.html
Moreover there are no pictorial references on Internet (I know, this is vague reasoning !!)
Hope I get to see some photos from friends here.

Regards.

Pravin Kawale

Sep 17, 2009, 10:21:26 AM9/17/09
to Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, Indian Tree Pix, rashida atthar
Hi,
wadelia urticaefolia
photographed at Bhimashankar
Aug,2007
Thanks

--
Pravin
Wadelia utricaefolia .JPG

Stephen A

Sep 17, 2009, 11:56:35 PM9/17/09
to Pravin Kawale, Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, Indian Tree Pix, rashida atthar
Hi all,
There is no genus or accepted Wadelia in the Family Asteraceae.
Its mere a typo error.

The correct name and spelling is Wedelia urticifolia DC. Asteraceae.

Regards,

Stephen...
--
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü
+----------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------+

Dinesh Valke

Sep 18, 2009, 1:39:36 AM9/18/09
to Stephen A, Pravin Kawale, Neil Soares, Indian Tree Pix, rashida atthar
... was apprehensive of "Wadelia" being "Wedelia", however I think "urticaefolia" could be an accepted spelling - especially if the epithet was created when old English was in practice.
I also see this spelling used by many known sites (but this is not valid reasoning).
This is only my thought ... not based on any concrete study. Stephen, please correct me if it has got to be only urticifolia.

Regards.

singhg .

Sep 18, 2009, 2:39:25 AM9/18/09
to Dinesh Valke, Stephen A, Pravin Kawale, Neil Soares, Indian Tree Pix, rashida atthar
Dinesh ji

Although there are guidelines for naming plants, but ultimately the spellings given by the original author, even if not sounding appropriate will stay.

It is Wedelia urticifolia DC., and that is the correct one

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Stephen A

Sep 18, 2009, 2:54:20 AM9/18/09
to singhg ., Dinesh Valke, Pravin Kawale, Neil Soares, Indian Tree Pix, rashida atthar
I reiterate Dr. Singh's view.
Though, Wight's icon uses the spelling urticaefolia in the page number 1106, later in the Excursion flora of central Tamilnadu, India by Dr. Matthew uses urticifolia and the same can be found in the e-flora of China.

So, the correct spelling for this species is Wedelia urticifolia DC.

I will post more on this later,

Regards,

Stephen...

Dinesh Valke

Sep 18, 2009, 2:54:40 AM9/18/09
to singhg ., Stephen A, Pravin Kawale, Neil Soares, Indian Tree Pix, rashida atthar
Many thanks Singh ji, Stephan ji, for the clarity on the acceptance of names.

Yet, the ID pends ... Wedelia urticifolia is suggested by Neil ji, comments and validations welcome.
Regards.

Neil Soares

Sep 18, 2009, 3:14:23 AM9/18/09
to singhg ., Dinesh Valke, Stephen A, Pravin Kawale, Indian Tree Pix
Hi Dinesh,
  In Dr. Almeida's 'Flora of Maharashtra' it is also listed as Wedelia urticifolia. Wadelia urticaefolia is how it is spelt in Ingalhalikar's 'Flowers of the Sahayadris'.
                          Regards,
                            Neil.

Dinesh Valke

Sep 18, 2009, 3:29:25 AM9/18/09
to Neil Soares, Tabish Qureshi, Flowers of India, singhg ., Stephen A, Pravin Kawale, Indian Tree Pix
Many thanks, Neil ji ... I am sure Ingalhalikar ji must have taken note of this errata.

Dear friends, my ID query remains at Neil ji suggesting it to be Wedelia urticifolia.
I need validation because I see W. urticifolia different at FOI -- http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Nettle%20Leaved%20Wedelia.html

Dear Tabish, your thoughts on this query.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Sep 19, 2009, 3:09:30 AM9/19/09
to Neil Soares, Tabish Qureshi, Flowers of India, singhg ., Stephen A, Pravin Kawale, Indian Tree Pix
Neil ji, I am convinced it has to be Wedelia urticifolia ... thank you very much for the ID.
Many thanks to Stephen and Singh ji for setting the name right.

Would like to extend this thread by another query:
Do the flower, leaf in Pravin ji's photo look different ?

I see the leaf is coarse dentate than fine serrate, the flower centre does not seem to be of Wedelia (my view).
The calices and stalks of our flowers, they too look different.

I have attached more photos for comparison.
fine_serrate_leaf.jpg
flower_centre.jpg
calyx_stalk.jpg

Neil Soares

Sep 19, 2009, 3:33:41 AM9/19/09
to Tabish Qureshi, Flowers of India, Dinesh Valke, singhg ., Stephen A, Pravin Kawale, Indian Tree Pix
Hi Dinesh,
  Pravin's photograph may be of Wedelia glauca. It is a spiny weedy herb which causes bleeding in the mouths of grazing animals due to injuries inflicted by the sharply pointed awned leaf apices [Source - Dr.Almeida's ' Flora of Maharashtra' Vol 3].
                           Regards,
                             Neil.

singhg .

Sep 19, 2009, 9:59:17 AM9/19/09
to Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, Tabish Qureshi, Flowers of India, Stephen A, Pravin Kawale, Indian Tree Pix
Dear Dinesh ji

  I admire you, Gargji, Tabishji, Neilji, and several others on the group with little or no knowlege botany, but still outdoing many botanists. I am simply amazed by your love for plants.

Just to set records straight: what we are talking about is not flowers, but collection of flowers technically capitulum, but simply said a head. The green structures outside are not calyx but involucre bracts or phylaries; the stalk is peduncle.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018
Phone: 011025518297; Mobile: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Phadke

Sep 21, 2009, 12:07:52 PM9/21/09
to singhg ., Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, Tabish Qureshi, Flowers of India, Stephen A, Pravin Kawale, Indian Tree Pix
Thanks Gurcharan ji
For some different aspect of the discussion. I enjoyed that one.
Satish Phadke

2009/9/19 singhg . <sin...@sify.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

surajitno...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2021, 6:19:14 AMJun 26
to efloraofindia
Question remains whether Wedelia urticaefolia (Blume) DC. ex Wight (Syn: Verbesina urticifolia Blume) is really reported from Yeoor Hills (part of Sanjay Gandhi National Park)" " as CoL does not give its distribution here
Clipboard02.jpg

surajitno...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2021, 6:21:21 AMJun 26
to efloraofindia

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 26, 2021, 6:24:44 AMJun 26
to efloraindia, surajit koley, J.M. Garg
GBIF : Wedelia urticaefolia (Blume) DC. ex Wight
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju