Pumpkin flowers

Satish Phadke

Oct 4, 2010, 11:13:16 AM10/4/10
to indiantreepix
I think this is a climber of Pumpkin what we eat as vegetable. Please validate.
Male and female flower seen in DSCN9920
This was growing wild near a Trash container in Pune city.
Dr Phadke
DSCN9920s.jpg
DSCN9917s.jpg
DSCN9918s.jpg
DSCN9919s.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 4, 2010, 12:23:56 PM10/4/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Satish ji
Unfortunately the name pumpkin could apply to any of the following species: Cucurbita maxima, C. pepo, C. moschata and C. mixta. There are so many cultivars to confuse us. Let us see if we gain any valuable information from uploads on coming Friday and Saturday.
The photographs of ripe fruits should help in actual identification.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Shantanu

Oct 4, 2010, 12:34:21 PM10/4/10
to efloraofindia
Lovely pics of Pumpkin flowers.
These are cooked and eaten in bengal...
and the crunchy Pakoras of these flowers are delicious

regards
Shantanu :)
>  DSCN9920s.jpg
> 161KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN9917s.jpg
> 117KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN9918s.jpg
> 189KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN9919s.jpg
> 145KViewDownload

tanay bose

Oct 4, 2010, 1:53:36 PM10/4/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
Santanu Da it is eaten all over the world, in many forms of delicacy
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Yazdy Palia

Oct 5, 2010, 11:46:34 AM10/5/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Friends it could be ash gourd also. Please check the link given below.
http://www.padvalagriculture.com/2009/02/pollination-fruiting-in-ash-gourd.html
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 5, 2010, 12:02:18 PM10/5/10
to Yazdy Palia, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Satish ji
Yazdy ji may be right: Broad serrated calyx lobes, non-drooping petals and importantly free anthers all point to Benincasa hispida. My only fear is flowers look smaller, or was it a distant shot?. Satish ji could you recollect the diameter of opened flowers.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Oct 5, 2010, 12:13:10 PM10/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji,
The flowers of Pumpkin and that of Ash gourd are almost same size if I
recollect correct. Moreover during drought or less rainfall, the
flowers could be smaller.
Regards
Yazdy.

Satish Phadke

Oct 5, 2010, 12:24:33 PM10/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
The flower size was 10-15 cm
It is huge....
These climbers are seen growing commonly. The seeds thrown in the garbage germinate and start growing in moist conditions.The picture was taken at 12 noon and the sun was not very bright to make it wilt early.After noon the petals definitely start drooping.

Rashida Atthar

Oct 5, 2010, 12:43:55 PM10/5/10
to Yazdy Palia, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Very interesting and informative link Yazdy ji. Thanks.

regards,
Rashida.

Yazdy Palia

Oct 5, 2010, 12:53:29 PM10/5/10
to Rashida Atthar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
You are welcome Rashida Ji
Regards
Yazdy.

Yazdy Palia

Oct 5, 2010, 12:56:25 PM10/5/10
to Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Satish ji,
It is very common that the seeds thrown in the garbage sprout and most
often the vines/ plants are very healthy because of the microorganism
that multiply in the heap and form very nice compost.
Regards
Yazdy.