Chlorophytum tuberosum - second wild flower of the season

shubhada nikharge

Jun 9, 2010, 9:06:42 AM6/9/10
to indian tree pix
Hi friends,
I saw second wild flower of the season in the forest at CEC, Goregaon, Mumbai today.

Bot. name : Chlorophytum tuberosum
local name :Kuli
Hindi: Safed Musli
famiily Liliaceae
One can see these flowers immediately after the first few showers. The leaves are cooked and eaten. This herb is also called edible chlorophytum. Leaves are radical and membranous.

Etymology:

Chloros = green and Phyton is a plant.

Roots are tuberous, hence tuberosum

cheers,
shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

chlorophytum tuberosum Kuli liliaceae cec_0078 e.JPG
chlorophytum tuberosum Kuli liliaceae cec_0004 e.JPG
chlorophytum tuberosum Kuli Liliaceae 2010_06_08_cec_0050 e.JPG
chlorophytum tuberosum leaves Kuli liliaceae cec_0185 e.JPG

Kenneth Greby

Jun 9, 2010, 9:14:25 AM6/9/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Shubhada--

 This is a new plant for me. I am only familiar with C. comosum, the common "spider plant" from South Africa.

 Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Regards--
Ken.

Jun 9, 2010, 9:14:39 AM6/9/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Awesome photography Shubhada Ji!!
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

tanay bose

Jun 9, 2010, 9:17:16 AM6/9/10
to Kenneth Greby, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Dear Shubhada Ji,
As far as i know Chlorophytum borivilianum is kown as Safed musli !! If I am wrong kindly correct me
tanay

shubhada nikharge

Jun 9, 2010, 9:27:48 AM6/9/10
to tanay bose, Kenneth Greby, indian tree pix
Hi Tanay ji,
As far as i know, both carry same local name in Hindi i.e. सफेद मुसली
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Jun 9, 2010, 12:51:03 PM6/9/10
to indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Hi Shubhada,
   Nice photographs, but they are of Chlorophytum borivalianum.
                         Regards,
                           Neil.

Jun 9, 2010, 1:53:18 PM6/9/10
to Neil Soares, indian tree pix
Hi Neil,
When u say something, I have to recheck 100 times.
I am confused. My pics do not match with the pics of C. borivilianum. Neither the petals nor the stamens are not separate. pl. explain the difference.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Jun 10, 2010, 12:57:13 AM6/10/10
to indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Hi Shubhada,
   Sending you my photographs taken at C.E.C. in June 2008.
                                Regards,
                                 Neil.

--- On Thu, 6/10/10, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Chlolophytum flowering.jpg
Chlolophytum flowers.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

Jun 10, 2010, 5:28:55 AM6/10/10
to efloraofindia
Useful link for identification of different species of Chlorophytum.

http://www.botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/201_safed.html

Pankaj Oudhia

mangala borkar

Jun 10, 2010, 9:10:37 AM6/10/10
to indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge, Neil Soares
Hello
What do we do after digging up? Replant them?
Borkar

Can u tell me where in CEC i can get to see C. tuberosum?

Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Jun 11, 2010, 6:38:45 AM6/11/10
to indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge, mangala borkar
Hi Mrs. Borkar,
   Your question has me foxed. Will pass it on to Dr.Almeida and let you know what his reply is.
                           With regards,
                             Neil Soares.

Satish Phadke

Jun 28, 2010, 11:17:06 AM6/28/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Hi
A picture of Chlorophytum plant dug up from ground.(Vetal tekdi Pune)
As suggested by Neil Ji the tubers appear to be attached to the roots rather than stem. Is it Chlorophytum tuberosum?
Dr Phadke

DSCN9671s.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 28, 2010, 11:36:42 AM6/28/10
to Satish Phadke, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Dear Satish ji,
this is C tuberosum undoubtedly !!
Tanay

Pankaj Oudhia

Jun 28, 2010, 2:31:48 PM6/28/10
to efloraofindia
Satish ji, if you are planning to use it as medicine then I must say that it is still immature. After fall of all leaves, tuber is considered mature and used as medicine. Here is Google link for my work on Chlorophytum.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&q=chlorophytum+oudhia&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=355c0c6008861bf6

Link for identification of different Chlorophytum species.

http://www.botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/201_safed.html

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Satish Phadke

Jun 29, 2010, 3:40:40 AM6/29/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
I do not intend to use it at all. That was only for study purpose.
I have replanted it in the same area.
Dr Phadke

Pankaj Oudhia

Jun 29, 2010, 3:46:36 AM6/29/10
to efloraofindia
Please apply leaf leachate of Curculigo orchioides near base of replanted Safed Musli. It will help to recover from injury.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia