[efloraofindia:34068] Hogenakal Tree islets

raghu ananth

May 5, 2010, 6:57:02 AM5/5/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

At Hogenakkal, Hosur, Tamil Nadu while hitching a ride on the coracle, the boatman would often take us around these tree islets! Some of these magnificent  trees are very  old (~ 200-350 years).

We came to know some important trees in the islets which can withstand flood waters - Maddi (Telugu, Tamil ), ponga, arasa,

maminakai, ilibu, Hunise (Tamarind)...

/* Hogenakal Trees

We came across many of these interesting tree species, most of them rested in the banks or in the midst of the river,  gone dry in summer. The trees in these scrub forests are dwarf except in these rivulets where they reach great heights upto 120 feet.

We watched a number of such trees amidst the river during our drive for more than 10 kms (Mar 2010).

 Wonder how these trees withstand the gushing river floods during monsoons.

 And most importantly, these gigiantic trees in the rivers are untouched by human hands. At Hogenakkal, while hitching a ride on the coracle, the boatman would often take us around these trees!  Some of these magnificent  trees are several centuries old (200-350 years approx).

Probably Mekedatu, Muttati in Karnataka, Anchetty and Hogenakal on the Tamilnadu-Karnataka border are the best places to see tree kinds in the mid of river cauvery river. I suppose  Terminalia arjuna, grows quite tall and are found in good numbers in the turbulent Cauvery river.

Photodate: 06 Feb 2006,

*/

Regards

Raghu

P1080822a1.jpg
P1090043a6.jpg
P1080842a3.jpg
P1080844a4.jpg
P1080854a5.jpg
P1080865a5.jpg
P1080869a7.jpg

tanay bose

May 5, 2010, 8:06:03 AM5/5/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Lovely pictures and great elaboration of the natural wonders Raghu Ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)