Id please

Dilip Pandit

Apr 17, 2009, 5:05:02 AM4/17/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

This flowering tree was seen and shot in Nameri national park. Which tree is this?

thanks please
--
Dilip Pandit
DSC01666.JPG

Kumaran Sathasivam

Apr 17, 2009, 7:24:52 AM4/17/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Dilip Pandit

Dear Dilip,

It seems to be a Sterculia sp.

With best regards,
Kumaran

--- On Fri, 17/4/09, Dilip Pandit <dspa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Get perfect Email ID for your Resume. Grab now http://in.promos.yahoo.com/address

Devendra Bhardwaj

Apr 17, 2009, 8:12:27 AM4/17/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Dilip Pandit
Hello,
  This is Bixa orellana .Known as Sindoori.
With Regard
Devendra Bhardwaj

Apr 17, 2009, 3:01:49 PM4/17/09
to indiantreepix
Indeed, the leaves looks very much like those of Bixa orellana.
However, Bixa orellana has its fruits covered all over by soft spines,
like this
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Lipstick%20Tree.html
To me this looks more like some Sterculia, as Kumaran said, probably
Sterculia urens:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Gum%20Karaya.html
can't be sure though
- Tabish

On Apr 17, 5:12 pm, Devendra Bhardwaj <devendra_bhard...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
>   This is Bixa orellana .Known as Sindoori.
> With Regard
> Devendra Bhardwaj

Navendu

Apr 18, 2009, 3:55:02 PM4/18/09
to indiantreepix

Its Sterculia for sure, however we need to check the species since NE
India has several species of this genus. Flowers would have been
helpful

navendu

J.M. Garg

Apr 20, 2009, 12:40:37 PM4/20/09
to Navendu, indiantreepix, Kumaran Sathasivam, Tabish Qureshi, Devendra Bhardwaj
Thanks, Kumaran ji, Tabish ji, Devendra ji & Navendu ji.
Tree in the foreground (with blurred fruits) is Sterculia villosa & in the background (will clear leaves) may be Bixa orellana (Sindoori).

More details from Indiantreepix Database:

Sterculia villosa  Sterculiaceae Odal Tree On 16/3/08 at Jayanti, Duars, West Bengal. Trees of the Sikkim Himalaya - Google Book Search Sterculia villosa - indiantreepix | Google Groups Fruiting tree for ID - indiantreepix | Google Groups http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Sterculia_villosa_Bra10.png http://tnenvis.nic.in/floral_gal/sterculiavillosa.jpg Beautiful Pods BK 9 - indiantreepix | Google Groups