Stevia- Natural Sweetner

satyendra tiwari

Jul 25, 2010, 9:24:29 AM7/25/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
This was another plant that I got recently.
I will grow this in a large scale soon.
Regards.
Satyendra

--
Satyendra K.Tiwari.
Wildlife Photographer, Naturalist, Tour Leader

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 25, 2010, 9:31:44 AM7/25/10
to efloraofindia
It looks like Stevia. By tasting its sweet leaves you can confirm it more easily. My farmers are cultivating it in large scale. I am running yahoo group on Stevia. Some useful links

Agronomical experiments with Stevia rebaudiana

http://www.pankajoudhia.com/stevia.htm

Recent work on it

http://www.google.com/webhp?tab=mw#hl=en&safe=off&q=+site:www.pankajoudhia.com+stevia+oudhia&sa=X&ei=yDtMTODkGM-VrAfdup25Dg&ved=0CAIQqAQwAg&fp=e1378c9ff5c32306

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

tanay bose

Jul 25, 2010, 10:07:46 AM7/25/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
I also think this is Jasthi Madhu !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 25, 2010, 10:23:16 AM7/25/10
to efloraofindia
I think Jasthi Madhu is Glycyrrhiza glabra. Stevia is different. It is from Paraguay and Indians have coined its new name very recently as Mithi Tulsi.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

mani nair

Jul 25, 2010, 10:35:56 AM7/25/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Yes I also think this is Stevia.  In one plants exhibition in Mumbai I have seen this plant.  Good substitute for sugar.

Regards,

Mani.

tanay bose

Jul 25, 2010, 1:42:41 PM7/25/10
to mani nair, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
I amde a mistake thats why i always using local names !!!
this is Stevia !!
tanay

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 25, 2010, 2:19:17 PM7/25/10
to efloraofindia
Satyendra ji, please take care before going for its large scale cultivation. As you know once Musli Mafia was active, now Stevia Mafia is fooling Indian farmers. Please make legal market tie up with the plant suppliers, bargain much for the cost of planting material and give much emphasis of quality planting material. .

Please go through my article published in Down to Earth many years back on Moosli Mafia.

A copy of it is available in this link

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=earticleView&earticleId=881&page=-2

reagrds

Pankaj Oudhia

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 8:03 PM, satyendra tiwari <kays...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Pankaj ji,
Very unknowingly this is what I did with my nieces today. They are 5 and 10 yrs old. I gave them each a leaf to chew and when they ask for the name I said Meethi Tulsi.
I think that is a right name in Hindi for this plant.
Regards.
Satyendra