Help with scientific name

Raptor Conservation

May 22, 2009, 10:31:10 AM5/22/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello to all,

Would appreciate if anyone can help me the scientific name of this tree (two pictures attachted). I only know its name in Telugu, its know as Tiruman. These are tall trees usually found in dry deciduous forests.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Dr.J.Pranay Rao,
General Secretary, Raptor Conservation Foundation,
1-10-63/4, Chikoti Gardens, Begumpet,
Hyderabad-500 016,
Andhra Pradesh , India .
Ph: (9140) 2776 0072/2776 4074
Email: raptorc...@yahoo.com

ID
ID

Dinesh Valke

May 22, 2009, 11:02:22 AM5/22/09
to Raptor Conservation, indian...@googlegroups.com
.... Anogeissus latifolia ... commonly known as axlewood, source of Indian gum, also known as ghatti gum
Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anogeissus_latifolia

Regards.

Raptor Conservation

Swagat

May 22, 2009, 11:38:20 AM5/22/09
to Raptor Conservation, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Anogeissus latifolia  is called 'Dhamoda' 'धामोडा' in Marathi.

Anogeissus Pendula  is called ' Dhavada' 'धावडा' or 'Dhav' 'धाव' in Marathi.

Anogeissus floribunda  is called 'Dhavari' 'धावरी' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

Dinesh Valke

May 22, 2009, 11:44:52 AM5/22/09
to Swagat, Raptor Conservation, indian...@googlegroups.com
Mant thanks, Swagat, useful to me.

Devendra Bhardwaj

May 22, 2009, 12:05:17 PM5/22/09
to Raptor Conservation, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello,It seems like Boswellia Serrata.
Devendra Bhardwaj

Would appreciate if anyone can help me the scientific name of this tree (two pictures attachted). I only know its name in Telugu, its know as Tiruman. These are tall trees usually found in dry deciduous forests.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Dr.J.Pranay Rao,
General Secretary, Raptor Conservation Foundation,
1-10-63/4, Chikoti Gardens, Begumpet,
Hyderabad-500 016,
Andhra Pradesh , India .
Ph: (9140) 2776 0072/2776 4074
Email: raptorc...@yahoo.com

Share files, take polls, and make new friends - all under one roof. Click here.

Devendra Bhardwaj

May 22, 2009, 12:05:47 PM5/22/09
to Raptor Conservation, indian...@googlegroups.com
Boswellia serrata

Dinesh Valke

May 22, 2009, 12:44:48 PM5/22/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, Raptor Conservation, indian...@googlegroups.com
... Devendra ji may be correct with Boswellia serrata ... I have a feeling that the bark is almost always vertically fissured OR seems ripped, not sure.

First look at trunk in posted photos with large speckled bark reminded me of Anogeissus latifolia

Dr.J.Pranay Rao says he knows the name of the posted photos as tiruman.
I googled -- tiruman Anogeissus ... got positive results.

Friends, please validate.

Regards.

Pankaj Oudhia

May 22, 2009, 2:36:55 PM5/22/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Dinesh Valke

May 23, 2009, 12:26:46 AM5/23/09
to Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Pankaj ji for showing the trunks of both trees ... they do look similar externally ... may be some time of the year or so, bark of B.serrata must be flaking showing lot of gum / resin oozing.
Thanks to Devendra ji.

Regards.