floral tree at Churchgate Mumbai

Geeta Rane

Jul 7, 2010, 10:59:29 AM7/7/10
to indiantreepix
Greetings from Mumbai,

I have been watching this tree everyday; which  surprised me today.
while returning from office found the petals fallen on the ground, it has some nice rosy frangrance. Sharing some photo,
I'm off to check books around, if any
Meanwhile, if this has been already posted & Identified here, please share the information,
Thanks in advance,
geeta rane
churchgate unid floral tree 001.jpg
churchgate unid floral tree 002.jpg
churchgate unid floral tree 003.jpg
churchgate unid floral tree 004.jpg
churchgate unid floral tree petals found in d evening005.jpg

ajinkya gadave

Jul 7, 2010, 11:14:54 AM7/7/10
to Geeta Rane, indiantreepix
geeta jee
this is
Couroupita guianensis
Family: Lecythidaceae
Cannonball Tree

Neil Soares

Jul 7, 2010, 11:19:14 AM7/7/10
to indiantreepix, Geeta Rane
Hi Ms Rane,
  It is the Cannon ball tree [Couroupita guianensis]
                     With regards,
                       Neil Soares.

mani nair

Jul 7, 2010, 1:07:26 PM7/7/10
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Geeta Rane
Yes it is a Cannon ball tree.  The leaves fall if there is air pollution around it.

Regards,

Mani.

TANAY BOSE

Jul 7, 2010, 2:49:53 PM7/7/10
to efloraofindia
Couroupita guianensis (Cannon Ball Tree)
Tanay

On Jul 7, 10:07 pm, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes it is a Cannon ball tree.  The leaves fall if there is air pollution
> around it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mani.
>
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi Ms Rane,
> >   It is the Cannon ball tree [Couroupita guianensis]
> >                      With regards,
> >                        Neil Soares.

Geeta Rane

Jul 8, 2010, 1:33:43 AM7/8/10
to TANAY BOSE, mani....@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, Adittya Dharap, indiantreepix
Greetings,
I suspected when I smelled the fragrance, but wanted to refer book to confirm which was not handy, my impatience forced me to drop the pictures, sorry for the inconvenieces, if any

but very pleased to see the young tree of Couroupita guianensis (Cannon Ball Tree) as Mr Adittyaji said it is commonly called Kailasapati.

On most saturdays from my Bus journey; I watch two tall & old trees fully loaded with flowers/balls and wanted to go near to them to feel them, really amazing to know that Kailasapati was regularly watching me, just kidding,

I will try to inform the authority of that campus about the huge growth!
Coz it is at the main gate of the building and the place is only enough for that of Bark seen in the picture.

One Flame Tree in the front of it has been recently removed, I personally don't know but apparantly; to my knowledge; it was blocking the view of the said building & could be the reason of removing/cutting of flame tree.

Millions of thanks to all of you and the group to help me experience this first flower of the tree I have been watching since December, 2008.

Thanks again,
With Prayers,
geeta rane
Mumbai