Garcinia xanthochymus Hook. f. ex Anders

25 views
Skip to first unread message

Rashida Atthar

unread,
Jul 29, 2010, 11:16:02 AM7/29/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Garcinia xanthochymus Hook. f. ex Anders.- female flowering seen at Rani baug, Mumbai identified by Dr. Almeida on 18 July, '10. 

regards,
Rashida. 
Garcinia xanthochymus leaves flower buds.JPG
Garcinia xanthochymus leaves flowers.JPG
Garcinia xanthochymus female flower.JPG
garcinia xanthochymus full tree.JPG
Garcinia xanthochymus flowers strewn on floor.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

unread,
Jul 29, 2010, 11:21:08 AM7/29/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice photographs Rashida ji

Looks very strange, I hardly know 15-20 per cent of plants from your area. This is India. Unity in Diversity.

-- 
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/ 

tanay bose

unread,
Jul 29, 2010, 11:25:38 AM7/29/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice catch of the Himalayan Garcinia !!
I never saw the plant only read about it.

Tanay

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Rashida Atthar <atthar....@gmail.com> wrote:



--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)


Rashida Atthar

unread,
Jul 29, 2010, 11:30:19 AM7/29/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you  Sir. This is one of the rare ones again.  It is only recently that Dr. Almeida has been assigned the work of doing the complete naming of all the trees, plants and shrubs of Rani baug. A few years back when I wrote a letter on his behalf to the authorities because we had identified several incorrect names after a walk, instead of correcting the same, all the name plates were removed, correct and incorrect ones !!. Therefore at present the rare trees at Rani baug do not even have signages . Hopefully this will change soon.    

regards,
Rashida.

Prashant awale

unread,
Jul 29, 2010, 12:28:09 PM7/29/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic catch. Seeing this for the first time. Thanks for sharing Rashida ji.
regards
Prashant

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Rashida Atthar <atthar....@gmail.com> wrote:

mani nair

unread,
Jul 29, 2010, 1:47:29 PM7/29/10
to Prashant awale, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashida ji, Excellent photo.  Where exactly is this tree located in Ranibaug?  I like to see this tree.

Regards,

Mani.

shubhada nikharge

unread,
Jul 29, 2010, 10:10:33 PM7/29/10
to mani nair, Prashant awale, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Mani ji,
U can find this tree in the small internal garden near Mr. Vani's bungalow. (He is the supt. of Gardens). Anyone can guide u the way to his bungalow.
If u attend free tree appreciation walk in Rani Bagh on 1st aug 2010 led by Dr. usha Desai and her team u can meet this tree.

Atlantia monophylla tree is also in the same garden.

Rashda,
nice pics.
I have attached few more pics of a tree and close up of leaves. 
Cheers,
Shubhada



"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."



From: mani nair <mani....@gmail.com>
To: Prashant awale <pka...@gmail.com>
Cc: Rashida Atthar <atthar....@gmail.com>; indian...@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thu, 29 July, 2010 11:17:29 PM
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:42701] Garcinia xanthochymus Hook. f. ex Anders
Garcinia xanthochymus flowers on the ground 2010_0717_Rani_Bagh_ e.jpg
Garcinia xanthochymus leaves Clusiaceae 2010_0717_Rani_Bagh_0116 e.jpg
Garcinia xanthochymus tree Clusiaceae 2010_0717_Rani_Bagh_0119 e.jpg

mani nair

unread,
Jul 30, 2010, 12:28:47 AM7/30/10
to shubhada nikharge, Prashant awale, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Shubhada ji

Regards,

Mani.

Aarti S. Khale

unread,
Jul 30, 2010, 1:56:27 AM7/30/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Rashida ji,
I had posted a picture of fruits for id and this was identified as
Garcinia tinctoria.
Are there two types of Garcinia at Rani Baug or Jijamata Udyan?
My post was 180110-AK-1.
I can attach that picture if you want.
Regards,
Aarti



On Jul 29, 7:30 pm, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you  Sir. This is one of the rare ones again.  It is only recently
> that Dr. Almeida has been assigned the work of doing the complete naming of
> all the trees, plants and shrubs of Rani baug. A few years back when I wrote
> a letter on his behalf to the authorities because we had identified several
> incorrect names after a walk, instead of correcting the same, all the name
> plates were removed, correct and incorrect ones !!. Therefore at present the
> rare trees at Rani baug do not even have signages . Hopefully this will
> change soon.
>
> regards,
> Rashida.
>
>
>
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nice photographs Rashida ji
>
> > Looks very strange, I hardly know 15-20 per cent of plants from your area.
> > This is India. Unity in Diversity.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Garcinia xanthochymus Hook. f. ex Anders.- female flowering seen at Rani
> >> baug, Mumbai identified by Dr. Almeida on 18 July, '10.
>
> >> regards,
> >> Rashida.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Rashida Atthar

unread,
Jul 30, 2010, 1:58:01 AM7/30/10
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Hi Aarti ji,

Hope you are fine now. Yes please do attach. I will get it verified from Dr. Almeida.

regards,
Rashida.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

unread,
Jul 30, 2010, 2:25:44 AM7/30/10
to efloraofindia
Nice pics...
Just for information:
If the plant names are cited with author names, proper author
abbreviation from Brummit and Powel (1992) is to be followed. Hence
the correct name of the plant should be

Garcinia xanthochymus Hook. f. ex T. Anderson

.....and not Anders

T. Anderson is the standard form of Thomas Anderson and Anders (note:
without a dot at end) stands for Anders Dahl on the name of whom a
genus Dahlia is there.

While searching more I found that IPNI cite this as Garcinia
xanthochymus Hook. f. and same goes to its type description in
Hooker's Flora of British India but the order Guttiferae was described
by T. Anderson. Hopefully IPNI should be correct.

Regards
Pankaj

sub.ma...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 30, 2010, 8:11:34 AM7/30/10
to efloraofindia
Garcinia xanthochymus is the TAMAL of Ayurveda which has been
mentioned by Kalidasa and Tagore.
Mahapatra
>  Garcinia xanthochymus leaves flower buds.JPG
> 166KViewDownload
>
>  Garcinia xanthochymus leaves flowers.JPG
> 192KViewDownload
>
>  Garcinia xanthochymus female flower.JPG
> 199KViewDownload
>
>  garcinia xanthochymus full tree.JPG
> 186KViewDownload
>
>  Garcinia xanthochymus flowers strewn on floor.JPG
> 184KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

unread,
Jul 30, 2010, 8:18:36 AM7/30/10
to sub.ma...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Here are some local names for Garcinia xanthochymus:
Sans: Tamala, Tapinijha
Hindi: Dampel, Tamal
Beng: Chalata, Tamal
Guj: Karamala, Ota
Mar: Jharambi, Ota
Tel: Ivarumidi, Tamalamu
Tam: Kulavi, Malaipachai, Mukki, Tamalam
Kan: Devagarige
Mal: Anavaya
Oriya: Cheoro, Sitambu
Nepal: Chunyel


-- 
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/ 

tanay bose

unread,
Jul 30, 2010, 8:37:43 AM7/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, sub.ma...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
thanks for the local names Sir Ji
tanay

Rashida Atthar

unread,
Jul 30, 2010, 9:35:19 AM7/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, sub.ma...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir for all the local names.

regards,
Rashida.

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:

Aarti S. Khale

unread,
Jul 30, 2010, 9:51:58 AM7/30/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rashida ji,
My picture of fruits that I had posted earlier.
Regards,
Aarti

 
Garcinia tinctoria(ref 180110-AK-1).jpg

Rashida Atthar

unread,
Jul 30, 2010, 10:47:00 AM7/30/10
to Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the picture Aarti ji. This is G. Xanthochymus only. See the pointed tip of the fruit one of the identifying characteristic, leaves also matching, and the month you have mentioned earlier, July, is the time it is fruiting. 

regards,
Rashida.

Aarti S. Khale

unread,
Jul 31, 2010, 12:58:44 AM7/31/10
to efloraofindia
Rashida ji,
Thanks for the id.Earlier it was identified by Dr Santosh Kumar.
Aarti

On Jul 30, 6:47 pm, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the picture Aarti ji. This is G. Xanthochymus only. See the
> pointed tip of the fruit one of the identifying characteristic, leaves also
> matching, and the month you have mentioned earlier, July, is the time it is
> fruiting.
>
> regards,
> Rashida.
>
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Aarti S. Khale <aarti.kh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>
>
> > Dear Rashida ji,
> > My picture of fruits that I had posted earlier.
> > Regards,
> > Aarti
>
> > On 7/30/10, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi Aarti ji,
>
> >> Hope you are fine now. Yes please do attach. I will get it verified from
> >> Dr. Almeida.
>
> >> regards,
> >> Rashida.
>
> >>> > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages