DV - 17JUL10 - 0356 :: temburni

Dinesh Valke

Jul 19, 2010, 2:14:44 PM7/19/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

The forest folks call it as temburni.... they make bhaaji (food) of the raw fruits.
Temburni is generic name for Diospyros.

ID please.

Date/Time
: July 17, 2010 at 3.56pm IST
Location Place : Karnala Bird Sanctuary
Altitude : 57 m (above mean sea level)
GPS : 18°53'37.72"N, 73° 6'48.19"E

Habitat : perhaps planted, in forest opening.
Type : moist deciduous forest.

Plant
Habit
: tree
Height : about 12 - 15 m, ... not sure.
Length : - not a climber -

Leaves
Type
: simple, opposite, margin entire, slightly undulate
Shape : elliptic, end obtuse, tapering base
Size : 12 - 15 cm x 6 - 8 cm

Inflorescence
Type
: axillary, solitary ... not sure,
Size : do not know

Flowers
Size
: do not know
Colour : do not know
Calyx : do not know
Bracts : do not know

Fruits
Type
: drupe ... not sure.
Shape : ovoid
Size : about 4 - 5 cm across, 5 - 6 cm long
Seeds : do not know

Other Info
Fragrance : do not know
Pollinator : do not know
Uses : do not know

Regards.
P1200919.jpg
P1200910.jpg
P1200914.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 19, 2010, 2:41:34 PM7/19/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh Ji,
I think this are fruits of Diospyros melanoxylon Roxb.The fruit is green when unripe and orange-yellow in colour when ripe.
Kindly Check !!

Regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Dinesh Valke

Jul 19, 2010, 10:45:05 PM7/19/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Dear Tanay, the concern is the absence of prominent calyx that is seen with Diospyros fruits.
And there could be yet some other characteristics which are not known to me.

Regards.

R. Vijayasankar

Jul 20, 2010, 12:58:03 AM7/20/10
to Dinesh Valke, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji,

Could it be Meyna laxiflora (fruit shape may be variable?) or some Randia sp.?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/3492034190/ but your pics in flickr (nice shots!) are of typical M. laxiflora...syn. Vanguria spinosa.

With regards

Vijayasankar

Dinesh Valke

Jul 20, 2010, 1:03:05 AM7/20/10
to R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Dear Vijayasankar ji,

Prashant too has thought about M. laxiflora.
Now me too believing it to be.
Some confident validation will resolve the ID.

Here is my - and - Prashant's dialogue:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Prashant, you could be correct !!!
Did not think about alu (M. laxiflora) because its fruits are globose (spherical) with a tight-fit cap-like scarred calyx at the bottom.
Please take a look at any of the photo(s) at http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Meyna%20laxiflora&w=91314344%40N00

Regards.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Prashant awale <pka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Dinesh,
I had come across fruiting of Meyna laxiflora   at Matheran. This they call it as Alu. Just check by any chance yr plant matches with this.
Cheers
Prashant

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 20, 2010, 1:17:57 AM7/20/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Tanay,

  Here is picture of Diospyros melanoxylon fruit with permanent calyx as Dinesh ji is saying.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=95762

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jul 20, 2010, 2:00:44 AM7/20/10
to efloraofindia
Tamilnadia uliginosa, in absence of flowers. Regards, Shrikant

On Jul 19, 11:14 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> The forest folks call it as* temburni*.... they make *bhaaji* (food) of the
> raw fruits.
> Temburni is generic name for *Diospyros*.
>  P1200919.jpg
> 118KViewDownload
>
>  P1200910.jpg
> 76KViewDownload
>
>  P1200914.jpg
> 124KViewDownload

tanay bose

Jul 20, 2010, 7:56:12 AM7/20/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj Ji
tanay

Muthu Karthick

Jul 20, 2010, 8:19:26 AM7/20/10
to tanay bose, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dear all,
Please look at the link, I posted pictures of T. ulginosa with its flowers and some descriptions.

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Dinesh Valke

Jul 20, 2010, 8:44:01 AM7/20/10
to Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Muthu ji ... the fruit in your photo looks very similar to what has been posted in this thread.
Thus, the ID would most probably resolve to Tamilnadia uliginosa

Was under the impression that T. uliginosa is a large shrub, much branched, with rough knotty appearance, with thorns.
Here, the plant has a clear trunk, about a foot in diameter, and looks to be an elegant small / medium-sized tree. Did not notice thorns.
Therefore must get to flowers of this plant later to support the ID.

Many thanks once again to you Muthu ji and Shrikant ji.

Regards.