Tree for id- 060909Jm

J.M. Garg

Sep 6, 2009, 7:47:16 AM9/6/09
to indiantreepix
A very characterstic & beautiful looking tree with its unusual coloured leaves in Narshapur forest near Hyderabad on 30/8/09.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Tree for Id I IMG_1326.jpg
Tree for Id I IMG_1327.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 6, 2009, 8:46:18 AM9/6/09
to indiantreepix
Reply from Avinash dada <avinas...@gmail.com>:
"Chloroxylon swietenia"

J.M. Garg

Sep 6, 2009, 9:03:48 AM9/6/09
to indiantreepix
Thanks, Avinash ji.
Here are a few links:

Some extracts from Wikipedia link (for pictures/ more details, pl. click on the link):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloroxylon

Chloroxylon swietenia (Ceylon Satinwood, East Indian Satinwood or Buruta) is a tropical hardwood, the sole species in the genus Chloroxylon. It is native to southern India and Sri Lanka.

Ceylon Satinwood is a medium-sized deciduous tree, growing to 15-20 m tall, with thick, fissured, slightly corky bark and pinnate leaves. The flowers are small, creamy-white, produced in panicles; the fruit is an oblong three-segmented capsule 2.5-4.5 cm long, containing 1-4 seeds in each segment.

The wood produced by the tree is often a golden colour with a reflective sheen. It is used for small luxury items and as a veneer in wooden furniture. It is one of the best-known satinwoods.

Swagat

Sep 6, 2009, 10:36:15 AM9/6/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Dear all,

"Chloroxylon swietenia" is called 'Billu' 'बिल्‍लु'  in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568