Trees uprooted: A glimpse into nature’s fury

raghu ananth

May 26, 2010, 12:18:57 PM5/26/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Trees uprooted: A glimpse into nature’s fury

During one of my birding trips in the village outskirts of Mysore, I found this time, many trees fallen down at different places. Some of them were veritable landmarks – it was here that I stopped each time to check for birds, fruits and flowers.   Initially I attributed the fallen state of the trees to the  the callous tobacco merchants or the villagers. But one of the farmers told me, much to my disbelief, that it was the handiwork of the fierce winds that had blown across this region a week ago. I have been observing for more than a decade that the Mysore/ Bangalore region does not have a prolonged summer and it always rains in the months of April and May, rains that bring great relief from the heat and add a dash of greenery, besides cooling the earth.

After three days, the account given by the farmer was verified. One night at 9 pm, we witnessed signs of fierce wind accompanied by lightning and thunder. The trees swirled left and right as if a demonic force was manipulating their actions. Fearing for our safety, we got back to our house. Soon, the winds weakened and it rained later for about an hour. The rains, however, did not match the winds in intensity. The next day morning I could see that many of the trees that had sported new leaves had fallen down – some with broken branches and some uprooted. To name a few of them -

Jagalganti - Diospyros montana

Banni -Acacia ferruginea

Road Baage - Albizia lebbek

Bili jala - Acacia  leucophobia

Areca

Neem

Plantain

Sampige - Champak

Subabul,

Tapsa - Holoptelia integrifolia

Coconut.

Kalli gida

One thing I noticed was that most of the trees were young, probably in the age group of 2-15 years. The old trees had remained intact. In cities like Bangalore, normally the old trees fall victims to such storms. Some of the farmers working in the fields exclaimed that they had never been witness even in the last 60 years, to nature’s fury as borne by the incident a couple of days ago.

Regards

Raghu

Villages: Chandagal, Cheeranahalli, Mullur, Jabgere, Moodlukoppal, Gavadagere

K R Nagar Taluq, Mysore district

Date: 11 May 2010

DSC_1814k.jpg
DSC_3705h.jpg
DSC_3767i.jpg
DSC_1889l.jpg
DSC_2203a.jpg
DSC_2204b.jpg
DSC_2472d.jpg
DSC_2477.jpg
DSC_3663e.jpg
DSC_3665f.jpg
DSC_3704g.jpg

tanay bose

May 26, 2010, 12:28:42 PM5/26/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
IT IS MOTHER NATURE'S WISH
tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Ashwin Baindur

May 26, 2010, 2:29:07 PM5/26/10
to indiantreepix
Many trees are easily uprooted or fall apart - Kubabul, Gul Mohur, Spathodea, Eucalyptus, Glyricidia are the ones that uproot most commonly on our campus. Of course road-widening also uproots even a Peepul or Rain Tree or Cassia spectabilis.

Perhaps we need to consider sturdiness also as a factor while suggesting avenue tres for urban environments.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 26, 2010, 8:34:18 PM5/26/10
to Ashwin Baindur, indiantreepix
Gwalior is famous for duststorms during at least once in 10 days. Two neem trees which we tended with great care along the boundary wall got uprooted. We tried to raise them and allowed creepers over them but one of them again got uprooted. The next in line was a sehjan (drumsticks) tree which  in any case is famous for its brittleness. Nothing happended to gulmohurs which I have planted in front of my house (numbering about 24. One or two window panes gets broken everytime, and the light is out for hours on that day.
ak

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:59 PM, Ashwin Baindur <ashwin....@gmail.com> wrote:
Many trees are easily uprooted or fall apart - Kubabul, Gul Mohur, Spathodea, Eucalyptus, Glyricidia are the ones that uproot most commonly on our campus. Of course road-widening also uproots even a Peepul or Rain Tree or Cassia spectabilis.

Perhaps we need to consider sturdiness also as a factor while suggesting avenue tres for urban environments.

Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A new blogs has been added on 1 April and 11 March 10.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma, Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!