Merging Impatiens leggei Pusalkar & D.K.Singh page to Impatiens laxiflora Edgew.

Ashutosh Sharma

Jan 12, 2021, 1:20:08 PM1/12/21
to indiantreepix
Respected Garg ji,

As per the latest publication by Dr. Rajib Gogoi et al. "Taxonomic revision of Impatiens laxiflora Edgew. (Balsaminaceae) and its allied species in India, Nepal, Bhutan & China " the long awaited mystery of I.laxiflora Edgew. is finally solved...
The paper is not open access so i have added some important points below -
The name I.leggei Pusalkar & D.K.Singh is conspecific with I.laxiflora Edgew., the species have navicular lower sepal with straight spur and the presence of reduced second pair of lateral sepals seen as minute corpuscles at the base of dorsal petal which is important and unique feature of this species so far not known in any other Western Himalayan balsam however it is also seen in closely related I.sunkoshiensis S.Akiyama et al. and I.desmantha Hook.f.(Synonyms -I.recticalcarata S.Akiyama) present in Central and Eastern Himalaya.

The description and distribution of I.leggei Pusalkar & D.K.Singh matches with that of true I.laxiflora Edgew. including the presence of second pair of reduced lateral sepals. So please correct the species name of I.leggei page to I.laxiflora Edgew. with I.leggei and I.micranthemum Edgew. as its synonyms. I.laxiflora Edgew. is a widely distributed species across Himalaya known from Kashmir to Sikkim.
Although we have many images of this species on site still i have attached two more images showing a pair of corpuscles, navicular lower sepal and straight spur character of species.
Photographed at Kullu district, Himachal Pradesh in August 2018.

With best regards
Ashutosh Sharma
Impatiens laxiflora with minute corpuscle seen(reduced 2nd pair of lateral sepals).jpg
Impatiens laxiflora Edgew AS1.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 12, 2021, 8:41:13 PM1/12/21
to efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma