[efloraofindia:32489] Id18042010phk1

4 views
Skip to first unread message

Pravin Kawale

unread,
Apr 17, 2010, 10:02:04 AM4/17/10
to efloraofindia
Hi,
Id please
Cymbidium spp?
Date/Time :18 April 2010 9.00 am
Location : Karnala Bird Sanctury
Habitat : Moist deciduos forest
Plant Habit :Epiphytic herb
Thanks in advance




DSC04160.JPG
DSC04144.JPG
DSC04158.JPG
DSC04159.JPG

These pictures were sent with Picasa, from Google.
Try it out here: http://picasa.google.com/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group.
To post to this group, send email to indian...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.

DSC04160.JPG
DSC04144.JPG
DSC04158.JPG
DSC04159.JPG

mani nair

unread,
Apr 17, 2010, 12:01:57 PM4/17/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Pravinji, It looks like Vanda sp.  Waiting for more answers.
Regards,
Mani.

Satish Phadke

unread,
Apr 17, 2010, 2:21:55 PM4/17/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Very nice pictures of Cottonia peduncularis or Bee orchid.
Dr Phadke

Satish Phadke

unread,
Apr 17, 2010, 2:28:35 PM4/17/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
This is Cottonia peduncularis  an epiphytic orchid(Bharmari in Marathi.)
It is also called as Bee orchid.
The lip of the flower looks very similar to certain type of a bee.
Even the smell is similar and the stalk of the inflorescence  is long and it moves with wind as if the bee is flying.
This movement attracts the male bee which tries to mate this female bee mimic eventually helping the pollination.The pollens are carried to the next flower subsequently.
Nature is GRREAT !!!
Dr Satish Phadke

tanay bose

unread,
Apr 18, 2010, 12:06:59 AM4/18/10
to Satish Phadke, Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia

Thank you satish ji,
I am bit weak in orchids thanks for the name its new to me
thank you
 tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Smilax004

unread,
Apr 18, 2010, 2:09:01 AM4/18/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Pravin,

This is Cottonia peduncularis. The species got the name because of the
longer peduncle. And it is commonly called as the BEE ORCHID.
Congrats for the good pictures.

Regards,
Giby
ATREE, Bangalore



On Apr 18, 9:06 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you satish ji,
> I am bit weak in orchids thanks for the name its new to me
> thank you
>  tanay
>
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Satish Phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > This is *Cottonia peduncularis*  an epiphytic orchid(Bharmari in Marathi.)
> > It is also called as Bee orchid.
> > The lip of the flower looks very similar to certain type of a bee.
> > Even the smell is similar and the stalk of the inflorescence  is long and
> > it moves with wind as if the bee is flying.
> > This movement attracts the male bee which tries to mate this female bee
> > mimic eventually helping the pollination.The pollens are carried to the next
> > flower subsequently.
> > Nature is GRREAT !!!
> > Dr Satish Phadke
>
> > On 17 April 2010 23:51, Satish Phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Very nice pictures of Cottonia peduncularis or Bee orchid.
> > > Dr Phadke
>
> > > On 17 April 2010 19:32, Pravin Kawale <kawale.pra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >> Hi,
> > >> Id please
> > >> Cymbidium spp?
> > >> Date/Time :18 April 2010       9.00 am
> > >> Location : Karnala Bird Sanctury
> > >> Habitat : Moist deciduos forest
> > >> Plant Habit :Epiphytic herb
> > >> Thanks in advance
>
> > >> DSC04160.JPG
> > >> DSC04144.JPG
> > >> DSC04158.JPG
> > >> DSC04159.JPG
>
> > >> These pictures were sent with Picasa, from Google.
> > >> Try it out here:http://picasa.google.com/
>
> > >> --
> > >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "efloraofindia" group.
> > >> To post to this group, send email to indian...@googlegroups.com.
> > >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com<indiantreepix%2Bunsubscribe@goog legroups.com>
> > .
> > >> For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "efloraofindia" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to indian...@googlegroups.com.
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com<indiantreepix%2Bunsubscribe@goog legroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> --
> Tanay Bose
> +91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
> 9830439691(Mobile)
> 9674221362 (Mobile)
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group.
> To post to this group, send email to indian...@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.

Pravin Kawale

unread,
Apr 18, 2010, 4:52:50 AM4/18/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Hi,
Thanks everybody for id and
aditional information
Regards
--
Pravin

Pankaj Kumar

unread,
Nov 10, 2010, 2:05:25 PM11/10/10
to indiantreepix
Cottonia peduncularis
Pankaj


On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Dr Pankaj Kumar
<sahani...@gmail.com> wrote:


>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Pravin Kawale <kawale.pra...@gmail.com>
> Date: Apr 18, 1:52 pm
> Subject: Id18042010phk1
> To: efloraofindia
>
>
> Hi,
> Thanks everybody for id and
> aditional information
> Regards
>

> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to indiantreepix
> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.


> For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.

--
***********************************************
"TAXONOMISTS GETTING EXTINCT AND SPECIES DATA DEFICIENT !!"


Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Greater Kailash Sacred Landscape Project
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages