[efloraofindia:32489] Id18042010phk1

Pravin Kawale

Apr 17, 2010, 10:02:04 AM4/17/10
to efloraofindia
Hi,
Id please
Cymbidium spp?
Date/Time :18 April 2010 9.00 am
Location : Karnala Bird Sanctury
Habitat : Moist deciduos forest
Plant Habit :Epiphytic herb
Thanks in advance

DSC04160.JPG
DSC04144.JPG
DSC04158.JPG
DSC04159.JPG

DSC04160.JPG
DSC04144.JPG
DSC04158.JPG
DSC04159.JPG

mani nair

Apr 17, 2010, 12:01:57 PM4/17/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Pravinji, It looks like Vanda sp.  Waiting for more answers.
Regards,
Mani.

Satish Phadke

Apr 17, 2010, 2:21:55 PM4/17/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Very nice pictures of Cottonia peduncularis or Bee orchid.
Dr Phadke

Satish Phadke

Apr 17, 2010, 2:28:35 PM4/17/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
This is Cottonia peduncularis  an epiphytic orchid(Bharmari in Marathi.)
It is also called as Bee orchid.
The lip of the flower looks very similar to certain type of a bee.
Even the smell is similar and the stalk of the inflorescence  is long and it moves with wind as if the bee is flying.
This movement attracts the male bee which tries to mate this female bee mimic eventually helping the pollination.The pollens are carried to the next flower subsequently.
Nature is GRREAT !!!
Dr Satish Phadke

tanay bose

Apr 18, 2010, 12:06:59 AM4/18/10
to Satish Phadke, Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia

Thank you satish ji,
I am bit weak in orchids thanks for the name its new to me
thank you
 tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Smilax004

Apr 18, 2010, 2:09:01 AM4/18/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Pravin,

This is Cottonia peduncularis. The species got the name because of the
longer peduncle. And it is commonly called as the BEE ORCHID.
Congrats for the good pictures.

Regards,
Giby
ATREE, Bangalore

Pravin Kawale

Apr 18, 2010, 4:52:50 AM4/18/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Hi,
Thanks everybody for id and
aditional information
Regards
--
Pravin

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 10, 2010, 2:05:25 PM11/10/10
to indiantreepix
Cottonia peduncularis
Pankaj

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Dr Pankaj Kumar
<sahani...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology