Petrea volubilis var. alba

Vinay Thite

Dec 13, 2023, 1:52:54 AM12/13/23
to eFloraofIndia

Petrea volubilis is seen at many places. I came across similar plant but with white flowers. This encounter was in Lalbagh, Bengaluru. This variety is referred to as Petrea volubilis var. alba.

I expected the petals to be seen on the ground below the vine, as in case of blue variety, but I was disappointed. I could not see them fallen on the ground in my visit to Lalbagh on 8 OCT 2023.

During my next visit on 29 OCT 2023, I could see the petals on the vine itself. However these petals were not spreading out but forming a tube. In some flowers I could see some half opened petals. On some flowers I saw wilted petals with change in colour from white to brown. This explains why the petals were not seen fallen on the ground.

In Lalbagh this vine is located at 12°56'52.48"N 77°35'6.31"E.

VST White Petrea volubilis 1.jpg
VST White Petrea volubilis 2.jpg
Petals of White Petrea volubilis Eng..jpg

J.M. Garg

Dec 14, 2023, 4:42:37 AM12/14/23
to efloraofindia, Vinay Thite
Very good onservations.