wattakaka volubilis

satyendra tiwari

Jul 23, 2010, 6:55:05 AM7/23/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
May I request you all if someone can provide me a plant or seeds of Wattakaka volubilis creeper for my garden.
I can arrange them to be collected personally in Pune or Bangalore.
Regards.
Satyendra

--
Satyendra K.Tiwari.
Wildlife Photographer, Naturalist, Tour Leader

mani nair

Jul 23, 2010, 1:32:16 PM7/23/10
to satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Satyendra ji, is the plant/seed so rare?   What are its uses?

Regards,

Mani.

mani nair

Jul 23, 2010, 1:34:53 PM7/23/10
to satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Satyendraji,

I have seen the plant with flowers in a nearby farm.  Let me see if I can get some seeds.

Regards,

Mani.

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 23, 2010, 2:15:09 PM7/23/10
to mani nair, satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Satyendra ji
Last year I had photographed and uploaded this plant, and there was a lot of discussion on this group. The identification was clinched when I managed to collect and photograph fruits. I had retained the fruits, but some how they are misplaced. I will try to collect fruits again from single location that I have seen in our area and will inform you.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

satyendra tiwari

Jul 24, 2010, 12:07:50 AM7/24/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mani ji,
Actually this creeper is a food plant for two butterflies. They lay eggs on this and their larva feed on this.
If you want to see Blue Tiger or Glossy Tiger butterfly in your Garden throughout the year then this plant is a must.
Thats the reason I am looking for it. I tried to find around the area I live and couldn't find a single plant.
Seeds or actual plant will do.
Thanks in advance.
Satyendra

mani nair

Jul 24, 2010, 1:19:16 AM7/24/10
to satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Satyendra ji,

I have seen some Blue Tiger butterflies hovering around these plants last year.  Tomorrow I am going to that place.  Let me see if I can get its seeds.  I will send to you if I get some.  Is it possible to grow this plant vegetatively?

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 24, 2010, 1:22:39 AM7/24/10
to efloraofindia
While passing through from your region I observed this climber in periphery of Shahdol town many years back. You can get its seeds from snake charmers also. In my region one of its names is Nagin. I will try to rememorise the exact place again.

Here is the link to my recent work on this species.

http://www.google.com/webhp?tab=mw#hl=en&safe=off&q=+site:www.pankajoudhia.com+wattakaka+oudhia&sa=X&ei=ZHhKTJnRNNO7rAeIopG6Dg&ved=0CAIQqAQwAw&fp=9290234b0920c2f7

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

mani nair

Jul 25, 2010, 9:45:47 AM7/25/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Today I went to the farm where I spotted the planted last year, but I did not find the plant there, but I found two small plants near the railway tracks photos of which I am sending.  Please let me know whether any one from the two is  Wattakaka volubilis.

Regards,

Mani.
glasstig.JPG
glasstig2.JPG

tanay bose

Jul 25, 2010, 10:10:03 AM7/25/10
to mani nair, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Dear Mani Ji,
I think you have got the plant !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

mani nair

Jul 25, 2010, 10:37:16 AM7/25/10
to tanay bose, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thanks Tanay ji, but which one is Wattakaka volubilis - first or second photo.

Regards,

Mani.

tanay bose

Jul 25, 2010, 1:43:59 PM7/25/10
to mani nair, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
the next one !!
Tanay

Pardeshi S.

Jul 26, 2010, 12:57:12 AM7/26/10
to efloraofindia
the second one is Wattakaka

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Jul 25, 7:37 pm, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tanay ji, but which one is Wattakaka volubilis - first or second
> photo.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mani.
>

> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Mani Ji,
> > I think you have got the plant !!
> > Tanay
>
> > On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 7:15 PM, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Today I went to the farm where I spotted the planted last year, but I did
> >> not find the plant there, but I found two small plants near the railway
> >> tracks photos of which I am sending.  Please let me know whether any one
> >> from the two is  Wattakaka volubilis.
>
> >> Regards,
>
> >> Mani.

shubhada nikharge

Jul 26, 2010, 2:31:30 AM7/26/10
to satyendra tiwari, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Satyendra ji,
I had reared a Blue tiger butterfly on wattakaka volubilis in 2007.
Attached  pics of a caterpillar feeding on the leaves of wattakaka volubilis.
Other food plants of this butterfly are Asclepias curassavica and Calotropis gigantea which are easy to grow too.
I am growing a plant of Asclepias curassavica for past few months but not a single Blue Tiger butterfly has chosen it to lay eggs.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Jul 26, 2010, 8:12:10 AM7/26/10
to shubhada nikharge, satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pardeshi ji.   Satyendra ji,  next sunday again I am going to that farm and let me see the same type of plant is there or in any other farms.   If I get the seeds I will send to you.

Regards,

Mani.