Rhus punjabensis Stewart ex Brandis

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 10, 2023, 4:22:32 AM10/10/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Ashutosh Sharma
Dear Members,

Location: Shivapuri National Park, Kathmandu, Nepal
Date: 30 September 2023
Altitude:  1925m.
Habitat : Wild

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju
DSC_0231.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 10, 2023, 4:22:47 AM10/10/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Ashutosh Sharma

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

DSC_0232.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 10, 2023, 4:23:12 AM10/10/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Ashutosh Sharma

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

DSC_0233.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 10, 2023, 4:23:18 AM10/10/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Ashutosh Sharma
DSC_0234.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 10, 2023, 4:23:35 AM10/10/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Ashutosh Sharma
DSC_0235.JPG

Ashutosh Sharma

Oct 10, 2023, 9:48:49 AM10/10/23
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, J.M. Garg
This is Rhus chinensis Mill. as we can see winged petioles,clearly dentate leaf margins and fresh fruits in late September. While in R. punjabensis leaf margin is mostly entire and it flowers around early-mid summer and mature fruits fall by September.

Thanks & regards
Ashutosh Sharma

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 10, 2023, 10:33:09 AM10/10/23
to Ashutosh Sharma, efloraindia, J.M. Garg

Thank you Ashutosh. So this sp. can have red fruiting also !
However, I could not find its distribution records for Nepal !

Saroj Kasaju

Ashutosh Sharma

Oct 11, 2023, 12:27:28 AM10/11/23
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, J.M. Garg
Dear Saroj Kasaju ji,

Yes, fruit (drupe) in this sp. is globose, slightly compressed and turns red with maturity.
This species is quite common throughout the temperate Himalayas and is also known from Nepal. Rhus javanica var. chinensis (Mill.) T.Yamaz. is a homotypic synonym of R. chinensis Mill.

Thanks & Regards
Ashutosh Sharma

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 11, 2023, 1:13:15 AM10/11/23
to Ashutosh Sharma, efloraindia, J.M. Garg

Thank you Ashutosh.

However, this is not included in the books published by the Government of Nepal and
the latest book from the Botanists of Nepal !

Saroj Kasaju