Pagoda tree

mani nair

Jun 18, 2010, 4:50:30 AM6/18/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Sending a picture of Pogoda tree shot at the Red Fort Garden, New Delhi.

Regards,

Mani.
tree.jpg

ajinkya gadave

Jun 18, 2010, 4:56:37 AM6/18/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
this is plumeria alba .

tanay bose

Jun 18, 2010, 7:47:23 AM6/18/10
to ajinkya gadave, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mani Ji,
Pagoda tree is Styphnolobium japonicum and I feel this is not the tree!
As Ajinkya Ji said it Plumeria alba
Regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

promila chaturvedi

Jun 18, 2010, 8:09:55 AM6/18/10
to tanay bose, ajinkya gadave, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
I also agree with Ajinkya Ji. I t is indeed Plumera alba.
Promila

Rashida Atthar

Jun 18, 2010, 8:10:16 AM6/18/10
to tanay bose, ajinkya gadave, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Looks like Plumeria rubra Linn. (Pagoda tree ) to me. According to Trees of Mumbai book the crooked trunk with blunt and swollen  branches matches with the pics. The flowers are upright  clustered from the tip of the branches.

regards,
Rashida.

J.M. Garg

Jun 29, 2010, 8:54:46 AM6/29/10
to efloraofindia, mani nair, tanay bose, ajinkya gadave, promila chaturvedi, rashida atthar

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“this is plumeria alba .” from Ajinkya ji.

“Pagoda tree is Styphnolobium japonicum and I feel this is not the tree!

As Ajinkya Ji said it Plumeria alba
Regards

Tanay”

“I also agree with Ajinkya Ji. I t is indeed Plumera alba.
Promila”

"Looks like Plumeria rubra Linn. (Pagoda tree ) to me. According to Trees of Mumbai book the crooked trunk with blunt and swollen  branches matches with the pics. The flowers are upright  clustered from the tip of the branches.
regards,
Rashida."

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

tree.jpg

promila chaturvedi

Jun 29, 2010, 9:00:59 AM6/29/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Plumeria -Frangipani is also known temple tree or Pagoda tree as in South East Asia they are planted around Pagodas. But I am not sure if all varieties of Plumeria are known as Pagoda tree or some particular one.
Promila

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM, mani nair <mani....@gmail.com> wrote:

Rashida Atthar

Jun 29, 2010, 9:32:34 AM6/29/10
to promila chaturvedi, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
My earlier input was based on the book 'Trees of Mumbai' which has mentioned  the description of the flowers as " The funnel shaped  flower is large, reddish white or fully waxy white with a golden centre."

In Trees in Delhi there is lot of  info. on Plumeria species . It is mentioned that there are 2 species of Plumeria in Delhi - Plumeria rubra there are four forms and within Plumeria obtusa there are two forms. Please refer to Pg 134 .

regards,
Rashida.

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jul 11, 2010, 3:11:58 PM7/11/10
to efloraofindia
I think this could be Plumeria obtusa!! Leaf apex seems to be
obtuse.....
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 11, 2010, 11:47:56 PM7/11/10