I had a dream…saw a Bargad tree…

raghu ananth

Aug 24, 2010, 10:36:36 AM8/24/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

I had a dream…saw a Bargad tree…  (sound almost like Karen Blixen…I had a farm in Africa!)

While traveling to M’Penn nallah in Miao in Arunachal Pradesh, I saw a tree so big it dwarfed almost everything in its vicinity – a truly handsome specimen. I managed to click a few pictures of the tree from afar and when I asked my guide the identity of the tree, he said that it was the Bargad tree. Ah! a new one I thought to myself. The trunk of the tree was tall and the branches grew about 60-80 feet from the ground.

The challenge has always been to remember names of trees. So I tried to memorize the name, repeating it aloud in the hope that I would remember the name. But when back in Chennai, I pressed the ‘replay’ button, no name came to me. I persisted but nothing happened.

And then two weeks later, strange as it may seem, I was in a deep slumber when this giant tree appeared in my dream and I could recall its name then – Bargad. I was elated. And then I woke up and realized it was a dream after all. Possibly, it had been playing in my subconscious all along and had been transmitted through a dream. I felt odd because it had been ages since I had got a dream when fast asleep. Most of the times, I tend to day dream, quite conscious of what is happening around me. The sad part is even though I had remembered the name of the tree in that dream the moment I woke up in the morning poof….I could not remember the tree’s name.

Again two days after the dream, I searched eflora database for the names of big trees and found the common Banyan which also had another name in Hindi– Bargad. It was the same mentioned by my Miao guide. All the confusion because I did not know the Hindi name of the Banyan and because the tree looked different in appearance.

Never underestimate the power of the subconscious and it’s good to dream once in a while!

Bargad , Banyan tree,

Regards

Raghu

DSC_5864.jpg
DSC_5865b.jpg
DSC_5866c.jpg
DSC_5869d.jpg
DSC_5870e.jpg
DSC_5872f.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 24, 2010, 10:55:02 AM8/24/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
I wish, I could see the leaves...
Pankaj

raghu ananth

Aug 24, 2010, 12:14:59 PM8/24/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com

Praveen ji,

Pls find some photographs of the leaves of the same tree, taken from afar on quite a bright sunny day.
In fact  my camera focus was not functioning and most of the the photographs were taken in lowlight and by fluke.

Photo date: 21 Jul 2010
Miao, Arunachal Pradesh

-Thanks
Raghu

Aug 24, 2010, 12:52:56 PM8/24/10
to Pankaj Kumar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raghu,
 Great story !!! Your tree is undoubtly a Ficus species but from the silhoutte and leaves it does not look like a Banyan tree. Also none of the major branches have any prop roots.
                    Regards,
                      Neil.

tanay bose

Aug 24, 2010, 5:04:15 PM8/24/10
to Neil Soares, Pankaj Kumar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
I also think this is some species of Ficus but hard to tell without a closeup
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Aug 25, 2010, 1:52:20 AM8/25/10
to tanay bose, Neil Soares, Pankaj Kumar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Certaily not Ficus benghalensis. My wild guess is Holoptela integrifolia (chiraul), but I am not so sure. Then it is not a ficus.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 25, 2010, 8:37:13 PM8/25/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Neil Soares, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thats why I had asked for leaf pics. This is indeed a Ficus but not benghalensis! neither Holoptelea.
Pankaj

Nudrat

Aug 26, 2010, 2:05:22 AM8/26/10
to efloraofindia
Hello All,

In my opinion the picture shows two different trees. The Ficus which
could be F. infectoria is growing as a strangler on another tree. I
could be wrong though.