White mushroom mushrooms on Elephant dung.

raghu ananth

Nov 4, 2009, 12:06:05 PM11/4/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

White mushroom mushrooms on  Elephant dung.
Nothing gets wasted in nature !

( Soon we came across fresh elephant dung indicating that they could be in the vicinity.
 Hence we beat a hasty retreat. )

Narimale Hills, Karnataka
Shola forest, W. ghats

Regards
Raghu

Now, send attachments up to 25MB with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn how.
DSC_5624a.jpg
DSC_5625b.jpg
DSC_5640c.jpg

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Nov 4, 2009, 3:37:02 PM11/4/09
to indiantreepix
In Chhotanagpur tribals call some of these fungi as 'KUKKURMUTTA' as
they believe that these plants grows where dogs piss.
I imagine what they must have called these after seeing this pic
[:p] !!

Regards
Pankaj

J.M. Garg

Nov 12, 2009, 2:53:17 AM11/12/09
to indiantreepix, raghu ananth, nabha meghani, kiran ranadive, Inderjeet Sethi

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSC_5624a.jpg
DSC_5625b.jpg
DSC_5640c.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 12, 2009, 4:32:52 AM11/12/09
to indiantreepix, raghu ananth, nabha meghani, kiran ranadive, Inderjeet Sethi
Reply from Kiran Ranadive ji:
"Please tell me that it was coming properly on dung or the dung fallen on termite home?
Please let me know the thing.
Thank you"

raghu ananth

Nov 12, 2009, 12:54:29 PM11/12/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, nabha meghani, kiran ranadive, Inderjeet Sethi
All,

From the enlarged photograph - the elephant droppings seems to be on the grass blades/grass lands.
No termite mound  evident in the photograph. I guess the mushroom seeds have grown on the elephant dung (natural fertilizer).

Hope this helps.

Regards
Raghu

to indiantreepix, Inderjeet Sethi, kiran ranadive, nabha meghani

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

Earlier relevant feedback:

“In Chhotanagpur tribals call some of these fungi as 'KUKKURMUTTA' as

Regards
Pankaj”

“From the enlarged photograph - the elephant droppings seems to be on the grass blades/grass lands.

No termite mound  evident in the photograph. I guess the mushroom seeds have grown on the elephant dung (natural fertilizer).
Hope this helps.
Regards

Raghu”

Nov 29, 2009, 10:05:59 AM11/29/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Inderjeet Sethi, kiran ranadive, nabha meghani
which is this mushroom and is it edible?

Mani.

On 11/29/09, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.
>
> Earlier relevant feedback:
>
> “In Chhotanagpur tribals call some of these fungi as '*KUKKURMUTTA*' as
> they believe that these plants grows where dogs piss.
> I imagine what they must have called these after seeing this pic
> [:p] !!
>
> Regards
> Pankaj”
>

> “From the enlarged photograph - the elephant droppings seems to be on the
> grass blades/grass lands.
> No termite mound evident in the photograph. I guess the mushroom seeds have
> grown on the elephant dung (natural fertilizer).
> Hope this helps.
> Regards
> Raghu”

Inderjeet Sethi

Dec 6, 2009, 5:34:22 AM12/6/09
to mani nair, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, kiran ranadive, nabha meghani
Dear Dr Pankaj,
It can be Panaeolus africanus which has been found to grow on elephant and hippo dung. For exact identification the spore colour, size etc are required. Moreover, these pics are of slightly mature stage when the cap has fully expanded. Some  pics of the younger fruit bodies could be helpful.

--
inderjeet sethi