[efloraofindia:35943] Fern for id 250510MK1

Muthu Karthick

May 25, 2010, 8:57:11 AM5/25/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Kindly help to id this fern found abundant on large trees and rocks.
Location: Moist Deciduous forest; Mudumalai wls
Date: 02 May 2010

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

E 056.jpg
E 057.jpg
E 058.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

May 25, 2010, 9:13:36 AM5/25/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Looks like Drynaria quercifolia, a fern. A soup is prepared from the rhizomes and consumed as a health tonic as well as for treating joint pain. The rhizome is called in Tamil as 'Mudavattukkaal kizhangu' due to its shape like goat's leg.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

May 25, 2010, 9:16:00 AM5/25/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Drynaria quercifolia Is a fern found on trees mainly hope its correct please validate
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Yazdy Palia

May 25, 2010, 1:53:27 PM5/25/10
to tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Dear Tanay ji,
I think both of you are spot on. Copying a link. Incidentally, we have
a lot of it at our place here. After all it is the same Nilgiri
biosphere. It does have a rhizome which even encircles a small stem
like a coffee plant.
Now the link with the pictures.
http://www.google.co.in/images?q=Drynaria+quercifolia&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGGL_en___IN364&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=Sw38S4PyCIbQcfPSkOsB&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQsAQwAA
Regards
Yazdy.

Neil Soares

May 25, 2010, 2:21:43 PM5/25/10
to tanay bose, Yazdy Palia, R. Vijayasankar, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Hi,
  My photograph taken in the Cotigaon WLS, Goa.
                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

--- On Tue, 5/25/10, Yazdy Palia <yazdy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> indiantreepix+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>>
>> --
>

> --
> Tanay Bose
> +91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
> 9830439691(Mobile)
>

> --

Drynaria quercifolia.jpg

tanay bose

May 26, 2010, 12:55:03 AM5/26/10
to Neil Soares, Yazdy Palia, R. Vijayasankar, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Great picture from Neil ji and also good links from Yazdy ji, this fern is also found in himalaya in Dooars I have seen it
Tanay

Muthu Karthick

May 29, 2010, 1:57:32 AM5/29/10
to tanay bose, Neil Soares, Yazdy Palia, R. Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Thank you very much all, for more information.

What is that leaf-like portion beneath the plant?

Yazdy Palia

May 29, 2010, 12:38:24 PM5/29/10
to Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, Neil Soares, R. Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Normally the rhizome comes beneath the dry leaves. Shall try and send some pictures in a day or so.
Regards
Yazdy.