Trees in Summer #1 of 15 | Alangium salviifolium

raghu ananth

Apr 3, 2010, 1:01:05 AM4/3/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Looks like Alangium salviifolium (Please confirm ID)
Telugu Udugu

This tree is quite tall, about 60-70 feet. (Internet references say udugu tree grow between  10-30  meters)

Date/Time-28 Mar 2010, 02.55PM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Mamandur, Andhra Pradesh

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-Wild / Eastern ghats foot hills

lant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-Tree

Height/Length-approx - 60-70 feet, girth - 2meters

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Shape -Alternate, leaf tip - acute or acuminate acuminate, leaf base - cuneate, 15-20cm length,

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

eflora link

--------------

Alangium salvifolium syn. A. lamarckii  Alangiaceae
Sage Leaved Alangium • Hindi: Ankol अंकोल • Urdu: Ankula • Malayalam: Arinjl • Telugu: Urgu • Kannada: Ankolamara • Sanskrit: Ankolah • Tamil: Alandi  23/2/08- in Vedantangal Bird sanctuary, near Chennai, Tamil Nadu; near Himayat sagar lake, Aziz nagar, Hyderabad- March'09?; Santiniketan, March 17, 2009; Keesaraguda near Hyderabad, AP on 21/6/09; http://ayurvedicmedicinalplants.com/plants/110.html Alangium salvifolium - indiantreepix | Google Groups 270209 Is this Alangium salvifolium? - indiantreepix | Google Groups http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Sage%20Leaved%20Alangium.html i.d. needed - indiantreepix | Google Groups Grewia species (?) - indiantreepix | Google Groups Flora by M Sharfuddin Khan Alangium salviifolium - Sage Leaved Alangium

Regards
Raghu

DSC_0591a.jpg
DSC_0605a.jpg
DSC_0593a.jpg
DSC_0595a.jpg
DSC_0596a.jpg
DSC_0597a.jpg
DSC_0598a.jpg
DSC_0599a.jpg
DSC_0602a.jpg
DSC_0603a.jpg

Muthu Karthick

Apr 3, 2010, 3:52:06 AM4/3/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Raghuji,
This is indeed Alangium salvifolium (L.f.) Wang. The fruits are edible.
Tamil name: அழிஞ்சில்; Alinjil

Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

Satish Phadke

Apr 4, 2010, 3:29:37 AM4/4/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
I had posted same plant on 25 th March2010 from Pune.
Dr Phadke

--
DSCN5570s.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 4, 2010, 3:31:59 AM4/4/10
to Satish Phadke, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Its best time to collect fallen flowers of Alangium for use in treatment of Insomnia.

Pankaj Oudhia

Pravin Kawale

May 8, 2010, 4:20:50 AM5/8/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Satish Phadke, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Fruiting of the same
Rippen fruits edible
At Chaul,Alibag
Thanks
>>> Groups<http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/3e68d1defe5747ca>
>>> Groups<http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/aae0b312b445a433>
>>> Flora
>>> by M Sharfuddin
>>> Khan<http://forest.ap.nic.in/Forest%20Flora%20of%20Andhra%20Pradesh/Flora%20by%20M%20Sharfuddin%20Khan/Botanical%20Names/Alangium%20lamarckii.htm>
>>> Alangium
>>> salviifolium - Sage Leaved
>>> Alangium<http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Sage%20Leaved%20Alangium.html>
>>> Regards
>>> Raghu

>> --
>>

> --

Pravin
Alangium fruiting 1.jpg
Alangium fruiting 2.jpg
Alangium fruiting 3.jpg

promila chaturvedi

May 8, 2010, 7:21:56 AM5/8/10
to Pravin Kawale, Pankaj Oudhia, Satish Phadke, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
In flowersofindia the height of this tree is mentioned as 3-10 m. At the same place it is written that it is a tall tree. As the height mentioned in the writeup it can be a dwarf to small tree.
Promila

padirag

Apr 20, 2012, 1:39:57 PM4/20/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Pravin Kawale, Pankaj Oudhia, Satish Phadke, raghu ananth
On the bund at the Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary near Chennai, the trees are tall, over 30 feet at least. About a month ago,  they were full of fllowers and fruit. Villagers told us that the fruit , which were green then, were edible when purple and ripe.
Rgds,
Padmini Raghavan.

Satish Phadke

Apr 21, 2012, 4:26:45 AM4/21/12
to Pravin Kawale, Pankaj Oudhia, Satish Phadke, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pravin ji for showing us the wonderful follow up pictures.

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Pravin Kawale <kawale...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr Satish Phadke