Height of Mangifera indica, Mango

sanjeev

Mar 19, 2010, 8:59:16 AM3/19/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Members,
I am curious to find out what is the tallest recorded mango tree, in
the wild or otherwise. If any of you have noted exceptionally tall
Mango trees please let me know your estimated height. I have reason
to believe that I might have seen the tallest Mango tree (should be
between 50mtrs and 70mtrs in my estimate). The girth at breast height
is between 6 and 7 meters. There are about 5 to 6 trees close
together.

I will post the actual measurements when I am able measure the height
on my next visit.
Best regards
Sanjeev KUmar S.R

Satish Phadke

Mar 19, 2010, 9:30:38 AM3/19/10
to sanjeev, efloraofindia
I have seen very huge Mango trees in Someshwar wildlife sanctuary near Agumbe rain forest.
I can't tell the height but a 2 story tower has been built near it. We climbed it and still couldn't touch the lowermost leaves of the tree. So it must be 6-7times that height.
Dr Phadke

Sanjeev Kumar

Mar 19, 2010, 10:13:03 AM3/19/10
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Dear Dr.Phadke,
I would guess the height of the two story structure to be about 6mtrs, that would put the height at around 36 to 42 mtrs.  My guess is that it would be more than that.  Any idea about the girth of that tree?
warm regards
Sanjeev

raghu ananth

Mar 19, 2010, 11:15:24 PM3/19/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sanjeev,

In the forests of Brahma giri (Coorg district) and Unchalli ( Uttara Kannada),  I have photographed very tall mango trees - above 50 meters and girth - 4.5 meters.

Will share some of them soon.

Regards

Raghu

Mar 20, 2010, 12:30:41 PM3/20/10
to sanjeev...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sanjeev/ All

Pls find the links to some of the tall mango trees we photographed some years back in the forests of Brahmagiri (Coorg district) and Unchalli ( Uttara Kannada) (Part of western ghats).. These trees are above 50 meters and 4.5 meters girth (approx).

Pls check these links (Download a high resolution picture for better quality or try using the zoom tool in  picassa & scroll around,)

Tall Mango tree from Brahmagiri forests (07 Dec 2008,  25 Jun 2005)

Tall Mango tree from Unchalli forests  (23 Jun 2009)

Unlike the mango trees found in urban areas, this wild Mango tree continues to grow tall and straight with the main trunk being huge and an elevated crown in the upper parts.

I still wonder which of the reasons could be more appropriate for the wild mango's upright growth

1. To pierce the forest canopy and absorb the precious sunlight.
2. People prune the side branches when the tree is young.
3. Its an altogether different species
4. Some other reason

Anyway, these tall trees enhance the beauty of the water falls in the backdrop & that of the forests as well.

Regards
Raghu

Mar 20, 2010, 3:18:27 PM3/20/10
to sanjeev, efloraofindia
Village Aragudi in Dist Latehar (Jharkhand) has a mango tree which I am seeing as tall as ever since my childhood; (I am 66 now). I dont know whether it has survived ( i have become a pucca shehri baboo now).. If yes, I will let you know of its measurements. It reputedly bears some 10,000 mangoes every year( or maybe alternate years, I dont remember now).
ak

Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A new blog has been added on 11 March 10.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma, Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!