Plants from Sri Lanka

shobha chavda

Feb 22, 2010, 4:05:13 AM2/22/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Recently I had been to Sri Lanka and have photographed few plants/Flowers.As this country is part of indian sub-continent,many of the plants are common in both the countries.From today onwards, I ' ll be posting some of the photographs.Kindly help me in identifying them or otherwise enjoy the beauty.
 This creeper of pink flowers was simply amazing.We could hardly see any leaves on it.Any clue ?
Thanx.
Shobha

Copy of Sri Lanka 181.jpg
Copy of Sri Lanka 186.jpg
Message has been deleted

shobha chavda

Feb 22, 2010, 5:02:07 AM2/22/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
 Hakgala Botanical Garden of Sri Lanka is the highest set Botanical Garden in the world - 5000 to 6000 ft. above sea-level. this garden was expanded during British period and has wide variety of trees brought from Japan,China, California and Queensland.In this garden, first time I came ac cross a Fern Tree.Uptil now,I had seen only bushes or shrubs of Fern.(  in India too we may be having this variety ! ).its a genus of Cyathea. is it crinita or spinulosa ?I don't remember exactly.Kindly confirm.
Thanx,
Shobha

Fern Tree..jpg
Fern Tree...jpg

J.M. Garg

Feb 22, 2010, 7:51:01 AM2/22/10
to shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Hi, Shobha ji,
Pl. follow the following posting guidelines along with format for Id requests:

9. Numbering for Id requests- DDMMYY+ Initials+ Sl.No. (if more than one on same day) to avoid any confusion, clubbing of mails with same subject line on the Google group, better linking in Indiantreepix database etc. For example if I post an Id request, it will be like ''For Id 060408JM1’’, 060408JM2 etc., in case it is not like '' Is it Bombax ceiba (Semal)?'' (this is much better) & recommended. One may post one or two Id requests a day for better attention & feedback."

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

figtree

Feb 22, 2010, 12:12:06 PM2/22/10
to efloraofindia
In Eastern India we have Cyathia spinulosa. Your specimen is not
definitely that one, so it is possible C.crnita. It is just an
assumption.

On Feb 22, 5:51 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi, Shobha ji,

> Pl. follow the following posting guidelines* along with format for Id
> requests*:
>
> “9. *Numbering for Id requests*- DDMMYY+ Initials+ Sl.No. (if more than one

> on same day) to avoid any confusion, clubbing of mails with same subject
> line on the Google group, better linking in Indiantreepix database etc. For
> example if I post an Id request, it will be like ''For Id 060408JM1’’,
> 060408JM2 etc., in case it is not like '' Is it Bombax ceiba (Semal)?''
> (this is much better) & recommended. One may post one or two Id requests a
> day for better attention & feedback."
>
> On 22 February 2010 14:35, shobha chavda <koa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Dear Friends,
> > Recently I had been to Sri Lanka and have photographed few
> > plants/Flowers.As this country is part of indian sub-continent,many of the
> > plants are common in both the countries.From today onwards, I ' ll be
> > posting some of the photographs.Kindly help me in identifying them or
> > otherwise enjoy the beauty.
> >  This creeper of pink flowers was simply amazing.We could hardly see any
> > leaves on it.Any clue ?
> > Thanx.
> > Shobha
>
> > --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> --
> With regards,

> J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1

> Image Resource of more than a thousand species of Birds, Butterflies, Plants
> etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise):http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg

> For learning about Indian Flora, visit/ join Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix- Hide quoted text -

Kenneth Greby

Feb 22, 2010, 3:23:44 PM2/22/10
to shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Congea tomentosa--Shower of Orchids (Verbenaceae).

Regards--
Ken Greby.

to efloraofindia, shobha chavda, sibdas, Swapna Prabhu, Vijayadas D

Earlier relevant feedback:

“In Eastern India we have Cyathia spinulosa. Your specimen is not

definitely that one, so it is possible C.crnita. It is just an

assumption.” from Sibdas ji.

Mar 12, 2010, 4:04:29 AM3/12/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, shobha chavda, sibdas, Swapna Prabhu
 Dear all,
The first image is not informative,

  The second image, I think that is Cyathea spinulosa , any way not C.crinita .
  But Srilanka  have  C.crinita.
Please remember to post close and  informative images , that means, should show appendages, soral arrangement  etc
Regards,
--
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

tanay bose

Mar 12, 2010, 5:28:33 AM3/12/10
to Vijayadas D, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, shobha chavda, sibdas, Swapna Prabhu
Dear all,
The pteridophyte in the attached photo is Cyathea spinulosa.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

sibdas ghosh

Mar 16, 2010, 10:27:57 AM3/16/10
to tanay bose, Vijayadas D, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, shobha chavda, Swapna Prabhu

Earlier I wrote that C. spinulosa is known to me (See the attachment). This specimen does not look the same to me (only from external appearance)
--
sibdas ghosh
cyathea_spinulosa.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 16, 2010, 10:32:26 AM3/16/10
to sibdas ghosh, Vijayadas D, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, shobha chavda, Swapna Prabhu
Dear Sibdas da,
I only suggested the name and not sure about it . Its hard for me to distinguish a tree fern from a photograph taken at a distance and not close enough. I urge experts like you to please suggest the correct specific epithet of the plant.
Regards
tanay