Fwd: New use found for 'world's most useful tree'

J.M. Garg

Mar 17, 2010, 8:35:39 AM3/17/10
to efloraofindia
Forwarding pl.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sharad Murdeshwar <smurd...@gmail.com>
Date: 17 March 2010 16:39
Subject: New use found for 'world's most useful tree'

New use found for 'world's most useful tree'

Water purification method offered for free download

By Lewis PageGet more from this author

Posted in Biology, 4th March 2010 08:02 GMT

A recipe for using "the world's most useful tree" to purify water is being offered for free download, in the hope that this will help get clean drinking water to billions of poor folk around the world.

Moringa tree in Namibia. Credit: Violet Gottrop

The Swiss Army knife of the tree world

The tree in question is the Moringa oleifera ("oily moringa") aka the horseradish or drumstick tree (also "Mother's best friend" in some places). The Moringa is cultivated across the tropical world and furnishes food in the form of apparently highly nutritious* pods, leaves and flowers.

It also yields oil which can be used as lighting or cooking fuel (or to make biogas). You can even make a highly effective crop fertiliser out of the miracle Moringa. Handily, the trusty tree is also drought resistant and tolerant of poor soil.

But that's not all, it turns out. You can also use Moringa products to inexpensively purify dirty drinking water.

“Moringa oleifera is a vegetable tree which is grown in Africa, Central and South America, the Indian subcontinent, and South East Asia. It could be considered to be one of the world’s most useful trees,” says Michael Lea, a Canadian water-purification researcher. “Perhaps most importantly, its seeds can be used to purify drinking water at virtually no cost.”

The method in outline involves crushing the tree's seeds to powder and making a solution with this. When the solution is added to turbid, dirty water it causes the suspended gunge to rapidly stick together into bigger flecks and so sink rapidly. Almost all contamination is thus carried down quite quickly into a sludge at the bottom of the container, allowing nice clear water to be decanted or siphoned off from the top.

The Moringa-seed technique, according to Lea, isn't foolproof - there are various bacteria and viruses which will not be affected by it. But it makes water much safer and more pleasant to drink, and Moringa treatment is hugely better than no treatment at all, which is the norm for far too many people.

“This technique does not represent a total solution to the threat of waterborne disease," concedes Lea. "However, given that the cultivation and use of the Moringa tree can bring benefits in the shape of nutrition and income as well as of far purer water, there is the possibility that thousands of 21st century families could find themselves liberated from what should now be universally seen as 19th century causes of death and disease.

"This is particularly mind-boggling when you think it might all come down to one incredibly useful tree.”

According to Lea, despite the fact that Moringa is widespread in the very regions where bad water is a serious problem, the seed-paste purification method is little known. Thus his paper on just how to do it is being published for free online.

Now all that's needed is for the knowledge of the recipe to spread. We don't suppose we have all that many readers in regions where it would be useful, but perhaps some of you can pass it on. ®

*The leaves of the Moringa are said by some sources to be several times as rich in the relevant desirable vitamins and minerals as orange juice, bananas, carrots and milk.

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/04/moringa_tree_knowledge_is_free/

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Bioremediation of Turbid SurfaceWater using seed extract of Moringa oleifera.pdf

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 17, 2010, 9:21:21 AM3/17/10
to efloraofindia
Nothing new in it Garg ji. It is Traditional knowledge of India.Our natives are using it since time immemorial. At first Nagpur based environment institute conducted research on it and in this way branded this Traditional knowledge as their knowledge. Now researchers outside India are on same path.

Pankaj Oudhia

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Mar 18, 2010, 2:47:25 AM3/18/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Does it belong to the same family as baobab? It is written that it is found naturally in South Asia. Where exactly? One feels that its natural habitat should be Rajasthan. Is it propagated by seeds?
ak

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 6:05 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A new blog has been added on 11 March 10.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma, Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 18, 2010, 4:02:28 AM3/18/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Anand ji
This plant of which we use both flowers (suhanjna ke phul) and fruit (suhanjana ki phali) belongs to family Moringaceae where as the baobab plant belongs to family Bombacaceae (or sometimes under Malvaceae).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tabish

Mar 18, 2010, 4:50:40 AM3/18/10
to efloraofindia
I think we are jumping to conclusions here. This paper makes no claim
of discovering this method. It explicitly mentions that this method
has been traditionally used to make water potable, in poor areas. It
merely quantifies and describes in detail the method being used
traditionally. Infact CSIR has a journal called Indian Journal of
Traditional Knowledge, whose aim is to put on record the indigenous
knowledge related to various disciplines. People who fear that some
traditional method can be stolen and patented, should write articles
about those methods in this journal.
Best wishes
- Tabish

On Mar 17, 6:21 pm, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nothing new in it Garg ji. It is Traditional knowledge of India.Our natives
> are using it since time immemorial. At first Nagpur based environment
> institute conducted research on it and in this way branded this Traditional
> knowledge as their knowledge. Now researchers outside India are on same
> path.
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 6:05 PM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Forwarding pl.

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 18, 2010, 6:53:16 AM3/18/10
to efloraofindia
Nothing is new in said paper. It is just "Re-search." The Indians know much more on this aspect.

Said journal has published many papers on this aspect earlier but still new patents on Moringa and water purification are coming by one and another way.

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=WUqWAAAAEBAJ&dq=Moringa+%22water+purification%22

If one thinks that publication in such journals can prevent patents, he or she is far from ground realities.

Pankaj Oudhia

Tabish

Mar 18, 2010, 7:13:44 AM3/18/10
to efloraofindia
These things are really worrysome. My understanding is that if
something is proven to exist in traditional knowledge, it cannot be
patented.
- Tabish