Threatened species in eFI

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2022, 8:45:42 PM6/26/22
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat

During the last few days I downloaded the list of threatened species of India from IUCN Red List 2021-3. These species were looked in the eFI database and the pages of all species represented in eFI are linked with their name in the list of threatened species of India. I did this exercise in 2017 also which is available under the page Threatened Flora of India. During the last 5 years our coverage of threatened species has increased from 93 species to 133 species (under EW, CR, EN, VU categories) which is truly appreciable. We now have more than 28% threatened flora of India represented in eFI. 28% seems low but we have to remember that threatened species are not common in nature and rarely spotted. Despite the rarity, our contributing members have photographed them and uploaded them here. No other database in India shows this much larger fraction of threatened species of India.

Now the page (Threatened Flora of India) may be updated, OR the new information (attached here) may be displayed at a different page to show how our coverage of threatened species has increased during the last five years.

In the recent list of threatened species of India categories of some earlier threatened species have been changed based on new information available. The species Madhuca insignis  is one example, which was earlier considered as EXTINCT, is now in CRITICALLY ENDANGERED category.

Regards.

DSRawat, Pantnagar

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2022, 8:46:00 PM6/26/22
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat
Thanks a lot, Rawat ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Vijayasankar Raman

Jun 28, 2022, 1:06:03 PM6/28/22
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat
Thanks Rawat ji for the analysis and helpful information!

Vijayasankar

D.S Rawat

Jun 30, 2022, 12:54:23 AM6/30/22
to Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia
Thank you Vijayasankar Ji for going through it.
It was necessary to revise this information after 5 years (2017).
Though the IUCN Red List keeps changing even within a year, I shall now try to update this information on a yearly basis.

DSRawat, Pantnagar
Dr D.S. Rawat
Department of Biological Sciences, G.B. Pant University of Agriculture & Technology Pantnagar-263 145 Uttarakhand, INDIA
eflorapantnagar displaying flora of Pantnagar