Climber smells garlic

Pudji Widodo

May 29, 2011, 1:26:47 AM5/29/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends

Could you ID the species and family of my climber please. The leaves
& stem smell like garlic. Thank you.

Pudji Widodo

100_0036.JPG

Satish Chile

May 29, 2011, 1:43:37 AM5/29/11
to Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Cydista aequinoctialis (Mansoa hymenaea) of Bignoniaceae
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

May 29, 2011, 1:53:20 AM5/29/11
to Satish Chile, Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Cydista aequinoctialis also commonly known as garlic vine
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2011, 2:23:28 AM5/29/11
to tanay bose, Satish Chile, Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Tanay I salute you for your versatility
May you progress a lot in your life and career

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pudji Widodo

May 29, 2011, 2:43:14 AM5/29/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Satish, Tanay, Dr. Gurcharan

Thank you very much.

Best Wishes
Pudji Widodo
Faculty of Biology Jenderal Soedirman University
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

tanay bose

May 29, 2011, 10:04:53 AM5/29/11
to Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
I salute back you Sir ji
Tanay

Pinki

May 30, 2011, 12:33:25 AM5/30/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All

i am a bit confused. CYDISTA AEQUINOCTIALIS has an older synonym
Adenocalymma alliaceum also ?????

i know garlic vine only by this name i try to keep myself updated for
the new names but i think i missed to follow this up....

Alok

On May 29, 7:04 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I salute back you Sir ji
> Tanay
>
> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Pudji Widodo <pudjiuns...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Dear Dr. Satish, Tanay, Dr. Gurcharan
>
> > Thank you very much.
>
> > Best Wishes
> > Pudji Widodo
> > Faculty of Biology Jenderal Soedirman University
> > PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>            604-822-2019 (Lab)
>            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> *Webpages:*http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.htmlhttp://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/gradstud.htmlhttps://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 30, 2011, 2:37:41 AM5/30/11
to Pinki, efloraofindia
So am I.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Gurcharan Singh

May 30, 2011, 4:19:09 AM5/30/11
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Pinki, efloraofindia
They are not synonymous according to both KEW Plant list and GRIN

Cydista aequinoctialis (L.) Miers is synonym of Bignonia aequinoctialis L.

(according to GRIN Cydista aequinoctialis is the correct name)

Mansoa alliacea (Lam.) A.H.Gentry

The two look similar and it would be interesting to find differences between them

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

May 30, 2011, 5:44:43 AM5/30/11
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, TANAY BOSE, Pudji Widodo, Pinki, efloraofindia
Perhaps the above plant is Mansoa alliacea (or else Mansoa hymenaea) of it smells of garlic
It is  not Cydista aequinoctialis, which lacks garlic smell

Perhaps the whole internet considers them as synonyms but not the taxonomic world (incl GRIN and KEW Plant List) which knows their differences. After a lot of seach I found answer here:

The answer is found in Flora of Micronesia, 5: Bignoniaceae-Rubiaceae
F . Raymond Fosberg, Marie-Helene Sachet and Royce L . O i e lvr

SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION PRESS, Washington,D.C. 1993

The two genera can be differentiated as under

     1.  Fruit valves costate, acuminate, plant with garlic odor when bruised or broken; inflorescence racemose on small lateral branchlets calyx-limb flaring, corolla lavender . . . . . . . . Mansoa

     1. Fruit valves not notably costate, odor when broken not alliaceous.  Inflorescence a twice or more trichotomous cymose panicle, leaflet bases rounded or broadly cuneate, pseudostipules inconspicuous or early caducous, tendril often present and conspicuous; calyx-limb not notably flaring; corolla limb whitish to pink or lavender. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Cydista

There are, however, at least two vines known as garlic vine: Mansoa hymenaea (DC.) A. H. Gentry and Mansoa alliacea Lamk. The two are also confused with each other. Perhaps some one can find above plant is ultimately Mansoa alliacea or Mansoa hymenaea. For that a key is needed.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

May 30, 2011, 6:40:08 AM5/30/11
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, TANAY BOSE, Pudji Widodo, Pinki, efloraofindia
Please read Mansoa alliacea Lamk as Mansoa alliacea (Lamk) A H Gentry

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

May 30, 2011, 8:07:49 AM5/30/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Whoa! what a learning experience!
thanks
usha di...
-------

On May 30, 3:40 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please read Mansoa alliacea Lamk as Mansoa alliacea (Lamk) A H Gentry
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

> > On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> They are not synonymous according to both KEW Plant list and GRIN
>

> >> *Cydista* *aequinoctialis* (L.) Miers is synonym of *Bignonia* *
> >> aequinoctialis* L. <http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-319795>

> >> (according to GRIN Cydista aequinoctialis is the correct name)
>

> >> *Adenocalymma* *alliaceum* (Lam.) Miers<http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-319319> is
> >> a synonym of
> >> *Mansoa* *alliacea* (Lam.) A.H.Gentry

> >> The two look similar and it would be interesting to find differences
> >> between them
>

> >> *

> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

> >> *

Balkar Arya

May 30, 2011, 1:10:54 PM5/30/11
to Ushadi micromini, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan Ji for throwing light in the matter
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 31, 2011, 1:15:57 AM5/31/11
to Balkar Arya, Ushadi micromini, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
thank you Gurcharanji.
ak

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2011, 3:16:31 AM9/3/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, chile...@gmail.com, Pinki, Pudji Widodo, tanay bose, rites...@gmail.com, sumathi.r...@gmail.com, kkart...@yahoo.com, rasi...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

http://zmypulse.info/2011/sctb-0081-wpow/

[...]

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1700 members & 79,000 messages on 31/8/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 5000 species)

100_0036.JPG

Satheesh George

Sep 3, 2011, 4:00:52 AM9/3/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, chile...@gmail.com, Pinki, Pudji Widodo, tanay bose, rites...@gmail.com, sumathi.r...@gmail.com, kkart...@yahoo.com, rasi...@gmail.com
Pls check Adenocalymna alliaceum Miers.
--
Dr. Satheesh George
Senior Scientist

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2011, 6:39:45 AM9/3/11
to Satheesh George, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, chile...@gmail.com, Pinki, Pudji Widodo, tanay bose, rites...@gmail.com, sumathi.r...@gmail.com, kkart...@yahoo.com, rasi...@gmail.com
A reply:
"could it be Adelocalymna nitidum Mart.ex DC.
Usha Desai [TAW]"

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 3, 2011, 6:49:21 AM9/3/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, chile...@gmail.com, Pinki, Pudji Widodo, tanay bose, rites...@gmail.com, sumathi.r...@gmail.com, kkart...@yahoo.com, rasi...@gmail.com
Pseudocalymma alliaceum. a popular garden creeper.
ak

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A NEW BLOG has been ADDED ON 9 August 2011.)

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 3, 2011, 6:58:25 AM9/3/11
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, chile...@gmail.com, Pinki, Pudji Widodo, tanay bose, rites...@gmail.com, sumathi.r...@gmail.com, kkart...@yahoo.com, rasi...@gmail.com
Yes that should be consensus Pseudocalymma alliaceum (Lam.) Sandwith, Adenocalymma alliaceum (Lam.) Miers, but now correctly known as

Mansoa alliacea (Lam.) A.H.Gentry

However, we have still to exclude Mansoa hymenaea (another garlic smell climber). The two are very similar and some one has to hunt out a key separating these two species to put stamp on identification. This I had written earlier also.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089