Sarpgandha

satyendra tiwari

Jul 25, 2010, 9:22:18 AM7/25/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
I bought this plant recently from a nursery with a Tag Sarpgandha.
I hope it is correct as it matches to other photos on web but for making it sure, here it is.
Name Sarpgandha
Place Garden Tala Village.
State M.P.
Thanks.
Satyendra

--
Satyendra K.Tiwari.
Wildlife Photographer, Naturalist, Tour Leader

mani nair

Jul 25, 2010, 9:50:11 AM7/25/10
to satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes this is Rauvolfia serpentina.
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Sarpagandha.html
Regards,
Mani.

tanay bose

Jul 25, 2010, 10:10:43 AM7/25/10
to mani nair, satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rauvolfia serpentina the Snake root plant !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Dr. Arvind Kadus

Jul 26, 2010, 11:35:35 AM7/26/10
to efloraofindia
Yes,of course this is Rauvolfia serpentina ! An antihypertensive drug.
Roots are used. Many Ayurvedic preparations are available of this
Sarpagandha. e.g. Sutagandha Vati, Sarpagandha Ghana vati etc.
Regards,
Dr. Kadus Arvind
Agasti Pharmaceuticals,Pune.
09422085606.

On Jul 25, 7:10 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rauvolfia serpentina the Snake root plant !!
> Tanay
>

> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 7:20 PM, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes this is Rauvolfia serpentina.
> >http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Sarpagandha.html
> > Regards,
> > Mani.
>
> 9830439691(Mobile)- Hide quoted text -

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 26, 2010, 12:36:39 PM7/26/10
to efloraofindia
I feel that time has come to enrich the information given in ancient Indian literature about Sarpgandha. Ancient literature say much about the medicinal properties and uses of roots whereas the Indian Traditional Healers use its all parts as medicine, even the insects feeding on Sarpgandha are used as medicine. Indian farmers have rich Traditional Agricultural Knowledge about use of Sarpgandha for pest management in other medicinal and aromatic crops.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Dr. Arvind Kadus

Jul 26, 2010, 12:50:21 PM7/26/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Mr. Pankaj I think there is no refference of Sarpagandha In any
ancient Ayurvedic literature.( i.e. Brihat trayis (Charaka,Sushruta &
Vagbhata)) as per my knowledge.This is the medicinal plant added
later.Now it is included in Ayu. Pharmacopeia.
Regards.
Dr. Arvind Kadus.
Pune.

On Jul 26, 9:36 pm, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I feel that time has come to enrich the information given in ancient Indian
> literature about Sarpgandha. Ancient literature say much about the medicinal
> properties and uses of roots whereas the Indian Traditional Healers use its
> all parts as medicine, even the insects feeding on Sarpgandha are used as
> medicine. Indian farmers have rich Traditional Agricultural Knowledge about
> use of Sarpgandha for pest management in other medicinal and aromatic crops.
>
> regards
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Dr. Arvind Kadus <agastiayur...@yahoo.co.in

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 26, 2010, 2:14:03 PM7/26/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks. I have to check for the exact reference. In my state it is a part of Traditional Healing since time immemorial and the young Healers of present generation are enriching it.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 26, 2010, 2:37:36 PM7/26/10
to efloraofindia
Please check this

From Snake Pit to Snake Root.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC200058/pdf/mlab00218-0069.pdf

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 27, 2010, 1:22:23 AM7/27/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Nalini ji for your interest in my work on Medicinal insects and mites. Here are some useful links

Lead paper presented at DIA conference, Kolkata.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=earticleView&earticleId=649&page=-2

Google Links

http://www.google.com/webhp?tab=mw#hl=en&safe=off&q=%22medicinal+insect%22+oudhia&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=a745afe28ca25bfd

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:21 AM, nabha meghani <nabha-...@gmx.de> wrote:
Pankaj ji,
very interesting to know that even the insects feeding on Sarpgandha are used as medicine.
Is it so in general or only in case of Sarpgandha.
Never heard of this before that is why curious to know.
Regards
Nalini