Fruits for ID

Satish Phadke

Apr 12, 2010, 11:48:50 AM4/12/10
to indiantreepix Indian
I saw few of these trees again without any leaves. Only fruits were observed.
Two compartments with flattened winged seeds staggered can be observed. These dried fruits were seen hanging down from branches.
Hoping to get the ID
Dr Phadke
IMG_8634s.jpg
IMG_8639s.jpg

Parjanya guru

Apr 12, 2010, 11:54:08 AM4/12/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Any chance for Schrebera swietenioides Roxb...?

  With regards,
  Parjanya Guru
+919738723392

Satish Phadke

Apr 12, 2010, 12:59:18 PM4/12/10
to Parjanya guru, indiantreepix Indian
I have seen Schrebera swietenioides trees in this area but in flowering phase. You may be right. I don't know how its flowers look. Thanks for the lead.

Satish Phadke

Apr 12, 2010, 1:05:59 PM4/12/10
to Parjanya guru, indiantreepix Indian
I think the fruits in the following link look close to fruits in my picture.
http://www.illustratedgarden.org/mobot/rarebooks/page.asp?relation=QK3498R6817951819V2&identifier=0033
Regards
Dr Phadke

R. Vijayasankar

Apr 12, 2010, 9:37:15 PM4/12/10
to Satish Phadke, Parjanya guru, indiantreepix Indian
Guru ji is correct! its Schrebera swietenioides (Oleaceae, the jasmine family), called as 'gant phal' due to the bell-shaped fruits. A red listed medicinal plant having sporadic distribution. Have seen reasonably good size of population only in Sandur in KA and in Bastar.
R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

Parjanya guru

Apr 13, 2010, 12:02:08 AM4/13/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Regarding the plant, .I have an interesting story to tell...
        It was in 2006, during a fieldwork in the areas of Uttara Kannada distrct, (North Canara) of Karnataka, some where near Mundgod, beside the Sirsi-Hubli main road,  we came to notice this plant in fruiting.. Unable to identify, we collected the fruits and noted down the bark characters.. then , there was a villager passing by. We stoped him to ask for that plant. He said its called as "Ghanti mara
" (The bell tree), as the fruits resembled bells.! Then, we asked about its usage, if any. he said- not much more, but the wood is very light, and is used to make some parts of Bullock cart.
.. And we came back to lab.. With the critical screening of all the literature, we came to know- its Schrebera swietenioides  of Oleaceae. then , interestingly, its listed in Red list too..!! ( Ref: 100 Red-Listed Medicinal Plants of Conservation Concern in Southern India by K. Ravi Kumar and D.K. Ved, Foundation for Revitalisation of Local Health Traditions (FRLHT), 2000.)
.. Then next day only, we ran back to that area , since there was a road extention was planned..We planned to colect some seeds as well as the plant material for further propagation..
 But...
.. The time we reached there.. there was nothing but a Burnt trunk.!!!!!!!
...Later we guessed- probably our interest in the plant might have given a hint to the villager.. and may be... he was also searching for the plant from a long time..
 Its just like we have shown him the plant...And he  might have taken it.!!!
.....We came back with utter sad...
And thereafter., we could not notice the tree anywhere..

                       ....Thank You Satish jee for sharing the pic.

Rahul Mungikar

Apr 20, 2010, 1:01:53 AM4/20/10
to efloraofindia
It is *Schrebera swietenioides*. I have collected it from Pune
district.