For ID 01T

Tejal V.

Aug 26, 2008, 2:19:11 PM8/26/08
to indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Id Request for attached scanned image. Two of these medium sized trees stand along the pond near the main entrance of Jijamata Udyan.

Thanks,
Tejal
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Nurturing   Grounds
art . ideas . actions
9 8 3 3  7 0 7 5 9 8

20080810 JijamataUdyan Plant 1a -at the pond near entrance.jpg
20080810 JijamataUdyan Plant 1b -at the pond near entrance.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 26, 2008, 10:26:18 PM8/26/08
to Tejal V., indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
I think it's Freshwater Mangrove (Barringtonia acutangula). Here is a link for details: http://ayushveda.com/herbs/barringtonia-acutangula.htm
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tejal V.

Aug 27, 2008, 1:33:05 AM8/27/08
to indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Thank you for identification Shrikant  & Garg.

Aug 27, 2008, 2:22:28 AM8/27/08
to indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Actually I could manage to the leaves, inflorescence & the fruit togetehr as there were some branches lying on ground (probably trimmed). There were lots of fruits (raw & ripe), so collected some seeds of this tree. lets hope they germinate. I hope some one collect some more seeds that would be lying there. Infact it would be good idea to collect seeds, ready seedlings/saplings of various trees from this place (Jijamata Udya, Mumbai).

Tejal Vishweshwar

Ulhas

Aug 28, 2008, 6:35:46 AM8/28/08
to indiantreepix

Hi

I think there is little mix up in the local names shown in both the
links.

Barringtonia recemosa which grows along the seashore is known as
'Samudra phal / phool', which seems to be appropriate.

Barringtonia acutangula grows along the rivers and common name in
Marathi is 'Tiwar'. To call it 'Samudra phal' is not correct. The
name
'Tiwar' is also used for mangroves.

Barringtonia acutangula is a very beautiful tree and flowers are very
aromatic. Flowers generally bloom at night and drop down in the
morning. It is beautiful site to see fallen pink flowers floating
like a pink carpet on the river waters in Konkan.

In central Mumbai (Naigaum) there are old avenues of these trees on
Devrukhkar Road and nearby roads. Otherwise this tree is quite rare
in urban areas.

It is a very good idea Tejal, if you could collect seeds / seedlings,
propagate them and promote them for plantation in urban areas / parks.

Best wishes

Ulhas Rane