Salix tetrasperma (Walunj in Marathi)

satish phadke

Nov 19, 2007, 9:25:06 AM11/19/07
to indiantreepix
Nature has such a good calender memory that I have been observing this
lone salix tree of Pune flowering every year between 1 and 10
november.Few last inflorescences are still visible on it as one drives
on the two wheeler bridge towards Garware college end on karve road.
I suppose this tree is male one and the only one in Pune.Many trees
are seen on the banks of Krishna river in Wai.Characteristically these
trees grow on river banks.The under surface of leaves is silvery as
seen here.Acetyl salicylic acid or aspirin was first produced from
this tree hence the name.
Satish Phadke
salix.jpg
salix1.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 20, 2007, 10:09:28 PM11/20/07
to satish phadke, indiantreepix
Learn about Willows (Salix genus) with details from Wikipedia as below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow
And details of the posted species here:
--
With regards,