Fw: Re: [efloraofindia:33441] Re: Grewia asiatica 2

Neil Soares

Apr 27, 2010, 9:17:39 AM4/27/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Am forwarding it again to the group as some of my previous mails have gone missing.
                               N.

From: Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:33420] Re: Grewia asiatica 2
To: "mani nair" <mani....@gmail.com>
Cc: "efloraofindia" <indian...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 6:33 PM

Hi,
 Sending some of my photographs of G.tiliaefolia.
                    Regards,
                      Neil Soares.

From: mani nair <mani....@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:33420] Re: Grewia asiatica
To: "shrikant ingalhalikar" <le...@rediffmail.com>
Cc: "efloraofindia" <indian...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 2:10 PM

Where this tree is found in Mumbai?
Regards,
Mani.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:33 AM, shrikant ingalhalikar <le...@rediffmail.com> wrote:
Dear Satish Phadke,

G. tiliifolia is a larger tree with smaller leaves compared to G.
asiatica. Your second set of pictures show G. asiatica twig because
the stipules are linear-lanceolate, they are not leafy and auricled.
Perhaps pics of G. tiliifolia stipules will sort the issue. Regards,
Shrikant

On Apr 26, 10:49 pm, Satish Phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry again.
> My interpretation seems to be exactly opposite. Is the plant depicted in the
> picture *G tiliifolia* then? Can somebody please elaborate?
> BSI Mah flora also says they are foliaceous in G.tiliifolia.
>
> On 26 April 2010 23:12, Satish Phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Sorry for sending bigger size image.
>
> > On 26 April 2010 23:10, Satish Phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Pursuing the search about the differentiating characters I checked for the
> >> stipules of the plant today. They are foliaceous in G.asiatica which is
> >> clearly seen in the attached picture while they are linear lanceolate in
> >> G.tiliifolia.
> >> Attaching some pictures showing it and part of the key from Cooke's flora.
> >> My earlier pictures do not show them clearly.
> >> I would like to request Prashant ji to show some picture of G.tiliifolia
> >> with stipules if he has any such picture in his collection.
> >> The glands near the petals are difficult to recognise from the available
> >> pictures.
> >> Regards
> >> Dr Phadke Satish

> --

Grewia tiliaefolia, Dhaman flowers.jpg
Grewia tiliaefolia, Dhaman leaves.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 27, 2010, 9:29:27 AM4/27/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
The two are really similar. Brandis (Indian trees) who saw a lot of variation in the species mentioned these differences between the two:

G. asiatica: Leaves broad-cordate, more or less tomentose beneath, stipules linear, buds cylindrical or clavate, flowers large, fruits large

G. tiliaefolia: leaves large, very oblique, nearly glabrous or hoary beneath, stipules leafy, falcate, auriculate.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor