¿ Eucalyptus saligna ?

Dinesh Valke

Aug 12, 2009, 10:22:24 AM8/12/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Hello friends,

Please validate this tree; I strongly feel it is Eucalyptus saligna.

Place: Ghodbunder Road (near Versova)
Date: 02 AUG 09

Regards.

P1020099.jpg
P1020098.jpg

Prashant awale

Aug 12, 2009, 11:05:55 AM8/12/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Dear Dinesh,
I too came across a similar tree at Aizawl, Mizoram. Do have a look at this ssnap..
best wishes
Prashant..
DSC00099.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 12, 2009, 11:11:05 AM8/12/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Dear Dinesh Valke ji
Eucalyptus is a large and complex genus, to me the photograph belongs to E. tereticornis. E. saligna has much shorter calyptra (cap), almost as long as hypanthium (basal cup) and peduncle and branches are ridged.

Gurcharan Singh

Dinesh Valke

Aug 12, 2009, 11:11:18 AM8/12/09
to Prashant awale, Indian Tree Pix
Dear Prashant, I am wondering whether the buds we see in our photographs are tell-tale OR are do they look similar in most of the Eucalyptus species.
I referred to http://iscmumbai.maharashtra.gov.in/floristic%20survey.html for taking a guess at E. saligna.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Aug 12, 2009, 12:01:05 PM8/12/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Indian Tree Pix
... too less of photos and illustrations of flowers and fruits of Eucalyptus species on internet ... to me, that makes identification more complex.
Thank you very much, Gurcharan ji.

Yazdy Palia

Aug 12, 2009, 12:53:01 PM8/12/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Hello folks,
It could be citriodora too. Please check up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corymbia_citriodora
Regards
Y. R. Palia

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 12, 2009, 1:11:53 PM8/12/09
to Yazdy Palia, Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Hello Mr Yazdy Palia
The given link does not take any where excet for shot of tree. Hypanthium,
calyptra and fruit are important distinguishing characters in this genus. E.
citridora has much broader and much shorter rounded cap than this
photograph.

This one is surely E. tereticornis

Gurcharan Singh
Aug 12, 2009, 9:06:18 PM8/12/09
to Yazdy Palia, Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Dear Yazdy Palia
Cap is found in flowering and fally off in open flower leaving the cup below
with ovary and stamens. After the stamens fall fall cup matures into fruit.
I think that should clear the doubts.

Kenneth Greby

Aug 12, 2009, 9:34:47 PM8/12/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix, Gurcharan Singh
 Greetings--

 I agree that this does not look to me like E. saligna. E. saligna typically has infloresences of more than seven buds:

http://www.hear.org/molokai/kalaupapa/herbarium/images/originals/eucalyptus_saligna_kala_13175.jpg

 E. tereticornis is not a species commonly grown in the USA, so I can neither confirm nor refute it as being a correct ID.

Regards--
Ken Greby

Eucalyptus is a large and complex genus, to me the photograph belongs to E. tereticornis. E. saligna has much shorter calyptra (cap), almost as long as hypanthium (basal cup) and peduncle and branches are ridged.

Gurcharan Singh
Aug 13, 2009, 1:16:57 AM8/13/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Dear Mr. Gurcharan Singhji
Thank you for sharing your wisdom.
Regards
Yazdy.

Dinesh Valke

Aug 16, 2009, 5:32:30 AM8/16/09
to Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh, Indian Tree Pix
Gurcharan ji, many many thanks for the ID (E. tereticornis).
Regards.